Chapter 23: I'll See You Tonight

My shift the next day went slowly. I couldn't wait to see George. After all we'd gone through all I wanted to do was hug George. I needed it. I'd gone through the roughest day of my life. I had lost my safety net that I had in Stephen. Even though things didn't work out I still didn't want him to hate me. I wanted to have him as a friend. If I couldn't be in love with him, I still wanted to love him as a friend. He didn't deserve what I did to him.

I couldn't pretend anymore though. I was in love with George. I probably had been since the moment I met him. He was gorgeous and, even though he'd always been rude to me before, he could be sweet when he needed to be.

My lunch break came and I sat down. George still wasn't here and I thought that maybe Will had threatened him into not coming. I stared out the window and ate my muffin.

"Is this seat taken?" A familiar voice asked.

"George, you're actually here. Sit down. We need to talk."

He smiled and kissed me on the head before taking the seat in front of me.

"So what happened?" I asked quietly. "Why did you leave?"

George's eyebrows furrowed and he sighed. "Will told me I needed to leave. I wasn't welcome at the flat anymore. He wasn't too happy when he heard me say I was in love with you."

I rolled my eyes. "He's such a knobhead. So are you just going to stay gone? Are we going to see each other?"

He smiled. "Of course we're still going to see each other. I meant it. I love you. I want to be with you constantly. Fraser and James said they would cover for us. Tell Will you're at theirs and all that. Alex is on our side as well until Will calms down and realizes that we're both adults. He won't keep us apart forever."

I laughed. "You've never seen William mad before. He can hold a grudge for years. At least the others are okay with covering for us though. I think I'm going to go insane without you in the house. Who will I fight with now?"

"No more fights Mary. I just want to take care of you. Everything changed. I've been into you since the day I met you. I knew the first time I saw you that I could never hate you, but seeing you with Stephen nearly killed me. I just wanted to drown myself in other women, but they weren't you."

"You knew from the beginning?"

He nodded.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"You hated me. You wanted nothing to do with me."

I sighed. "I never hated you really. I didn't understand anything about you."

George smiled. "Tonight why don't you 'stay with Gee.'" He put air quotes around the words.

I smiled back at him. "You want me to stay with you and Alex tonight?"

"If that's what you want."

I nodded. "I'll 'stay with Gee.'"

His smile widened and he grabbed my hand from me. We locked fingers and just sat there quietly until my break ended.

"I'll see you tonight." I said as I got up to get back to work.

He leaned in and kissed me. It was magical.

"Tonight," he said before leaving. Leaving me smiling like an idiot for the rest of my shift.