And on the quest goes

I woke up to Apollo Shuffling around the room, cursing himself under his breath. It took him a few minutes to realize that I was awake.

“Liza! Are you packed? Are you ready? We have to go, the sun can’t be late! C’mon Liza, we need to go!”

“Apollo, let’s go then. I’m ready and I have friends in Dover if I need to stay somewhere. We can go.”

“Then get in the sun! Oh no, if I’m late Zeus will kill me! Go quickly Liza, quickly!”  He said, scurrying around the room.

“Apollo, I don’t know where the sun is. You can’t just send me off anywhere! Calm down! You won’t be late! Just lead me out to the sun and everything’s all good! You need to Just CALM DOWN!” I said, interjecting and trying very hard to get him to slow down and think.

“Ok, I’m good now Liza, follow me.”

The sun was still in Maserati form, so we slid in and sped off, right on time.

“Apollo, can I ask you something, or are we not allowed to talk while you drive?”

“You can ask whatever you want Liza, and I will answer truthfully or not at all.”

“Why are you so panicky all of a sudden? When I thought about you and your kids and what everyone that’s met you says about you, I thought you’d be laid back, chill, kind of like a surfer. But you’re dashing everywhere and jumping around and freaking out over the smallest detail. What’s happened? The prophecy says I’m supposed to change you for the best, but I feel like it’s for the worst? What’s happening to you Pollo?” I asked, diving even further into self-doubt as I talked. His slight smile he wore when we took off slipping with each word, until it was a distinct frown, like he was thinking, and they weren’t good thoughts.

He took a breath and let it out, like he was trying to figure out how to phrase it correctly. He started again, apparently getting it right, “look Liza, I am more panicky with you, because I finally have someone to care about that isn’t immortal or at camp. It’s hard, and I don’t know how to deal with it yet. But I’m trying, and working towards getting better. I just don’t want to lose the first person that I’ve felt a connection to in a while. I’m working Liza, but my way of coping right now is to panic. And maybe, just maybe, being less relaxed is a good thing… maybe.”

“Why are you so unsure of yourself? I never would have thought the god of the sun, the most known thing, like, ever, would doubt himself. Why aren’t you sure that you’re supposed to be less relaxed or entirely relaxed? That just doesn’t fit you! According to everyone else you’re cocky and relaxed and joking and everything that you don’t act like around me. I want to see the real Apollo. Where’s he? Where do I find him? Cos I know for sure that this isn’t him,” I said, choking back tears. I would not cry over something as simple as Apollo being a bit different than usual; I didn’t even fully know the guy, maybe I was making the wrong assumption.

“Liza, I’ve never been truly that confident in myself. But, who is? Who can say they have never ever cared what people thought of them, and have never worried that the people around them were judging them. It’s nature to be insecure and a bit paranoid; it’s what keeps most people alive. I’m just finally facing what I’ve ignored my whole life, and I think the fact that you are finally making me question myself. It’s exactly what I need,” he let it all out, the last part sounding like he was convincing himself and not me.

“I just want to see the happy Apollo I’ve heard so much about and not the one that has a panic attack about everything.”

“Well, sorry for the quick subject change, as I want to stop having the panic attacks too, but where in Delaware am I dropping you off?” he quickly confessed, trying to take the concentration away from his panic attacks.

“Camden, in the parking lot of the High school should do it. I can get around and where I need to go from there. Am I getting a prophecy for this one? Or do I have to do it all on my lonesome?” I teased, desperately trying to lighten the mood while simultaneously getting the information I needed.

“Of course there’s a prophecy!” he scoffed, like he couldn’t believe I would doubt him, “I’ll tell it to you when we get there, just like the last one!”

“Well, how long does it take to get to Delaware from New York if we’re driving in the sun?” I asked, wanting to get this quest done and over with as soon as I could.

“An hour less than usual, so it’ll take about 2 hours. Relax, sit back and just enjoy the music. I’ll get you there as soon as I can,” he turned the music up, and I watched the landscape fly by to I Will Follow You into the Dark by Death Cab for Cutie.

About two hours later we were right over Caesar Rodney High School, Apollo dropping us down over the senior parking lot. I hopped out of the Maserati and stretched; I hated long car rides, a side effect of the ADHD.

“So, here we are. I’ll give you your prophecy and see where it takes you. I added some ambrosia and nectar, drachmas, money and water to your back pack. I hope you can find my lyre, because I didn’t hide it.”

He took a deep breath, and spoke:

“A simple little lyre,

Is found inside a choir,

They move in one formation,

Making an incantation,

Its place may not be clear,

But it is rather near,

So look for this God’s symbol,

From a person who is nimble”

He sped off in the sun, leaving me in an empty parking lot to understand a prophecy that made no sense.

// So believe it or not I'm mostly back. I had missed the wattpad community but my phone has been broken and I was bogged down timewise with school and band and six million other activities. I understand this chapter is a little short and totally unedited but I've had it written for about a year and figured you all deserved something. So, enjoy.