Chapter Six

“So tell me John; Who’s it going to be? Me or her?”

  John looked over the two people before him. There was the beautiful Yoko, the woman he had known for all these years and grown to trust so much. He had known her practically his entire life, the two of them connecting the instant they met. They had shared ideas and thoughts together, even going steady for a while before John broke it off. Now they were back together, and John didn’t know if he could damage their relationship again.

  Then there was Paul, the lovely lad from Rich Man that he had only just met. Even though they hadn’t known each other for too long, John felt as if they had truly been made for each other. Even though a love between two men was seen as wrong in the eyes of the world around them, they loved each other, and they felt there was nothing the world could do about it. John had learned so much about Paul, and he didn’t want to give up on what could be just quite yet.

  “I don’t… I don’t know.” John gulped. His voice was shaky, and he began to over think things. He didn’t want to break anyone’s heart tonight, but he felt that either one of his choices was going to hurt someone somehow. “I need time to think.”

  “John, you’ve had plenty of time to think,” Paul snapped, his eyes narrowed. “I want the answer now. And I’m sure Yoko does, too. We want answers.”

  John swallowed his spit. He had never been so nervous in his life. He didn’t want to hurt anyone, but no matter what he responded, someone was going to end up getting their heart broken.

  “I’ve loved you both at different points in my life,” John spoke, “though now my ideas have completely changed. Because I’m in love. I’m so in love that everything is flip-flopped, my perspective completely changing. I don’t know which way is up, or which way is down. I don’t even know how to stand on my own without thinking of my love. This person made me fall head-over-heels for them, and now they’ve finally fallen for me, and I’ve abused it. And I need to make things right with them. That’s why I’m picking Paul.”

  A huge grin spread across the dancer’s face, running into John’s arms and hugging him close. “I’ve been stupid in the past,” he spoke, still holding John close, “but I’m not stupid anymore. I quit my job at the club, and I’ll never have to work there again. I can make money on my own, support myself. Support our life together. Maybe I can even learn how to read. I need you, John Lennon, and when I was gone, I never stopped loving you. I’ve made terrible mistakes, but I want you to know, I won’t be making any more for as long as I live. I love you, John.”

  “I love you, too, Paul.” John felt tears dripping from his eyes as he held the lovely Paul in his arms. He was so glad the younger lad was now his, and only his. He barely noticed as Yoko grabbed her things and stormed off, annoyed that John had chosen a man over her. He was too excited that Paul was going to be moving in, and that the two of them were going to be living together. They were going to be spending the rest of their lives together, as one another’s, and no one else’s but each other’s.

  As they were together that evening, it was no longer just sex. In fact, it had never been. It had always been making love. The two of their bodies, entangled in a whirlwind of bliss as they satisfied each other’s needs. They were swirled up in ecstasy, experiencing brighter feelings than either of them had ever felt before. As they climaxed, they realized that they felt the way they wanted to stay for the rest of their lives: happy and in love.

  They were married the following summer. A giant festival of flowers and cake was held,  and although only a few guests attended, they were happy. They didn’t need a big wedding to keep them satisfied. They didn’t want big, flashy jewelry or money, either. They had each other, and that was all they really needed.

  Paul eventually learned to read, finding it a great struggle at first but eventually overcoming the challenge. With his new skill, he took up a job in the newspaper business, writing articles about local news events as well as short novels. He was a paperback writer, his dream job since a child. He could finally do all the things he had wanted to do his entire life. And with John by his side, he could do them a happier man.

  In a few years time, and a few stock investments later, the Lennon-McCartney family was making quite a bit of money. They must have invested in something worth investing in, because they soon hit the jackpot. They were now rich, with more money than they could have ever imagined. Despite the increase in their fortune, Paul continued his job in the newspaper business. 

  John quit his dingy little job, finding it easier to become a stay-at-home dad to to the child he and Paul had adopted. They named him Julian, and Paul’s natural parenting instinct took over whenever he was around the child. Having a child was a piece of work for the two of them, but they enjoyed their new life as parents with each other.

  Even though they were satisfied in their lives together, there were rough patches in their relationship. They rarely agreed on anything, and often fought like mad. But overall, it was their love of each other that made them love each other and kept them together. Each day felt as if it were the start of a lovely life together, and every time John gazed in Paul’s eyes, he felt it was the first time he saw the younger lad all over again.

  Life not as a dancer was exciting for Paul, and he enjoyed the free time to the maximum. Eventually, Julian grew up and went to college. He settled down and got married, having children of his own. John and Paul were proud grandparents, visiting their grandkids as often as possible. Soon Paul retired from his job as a writer, and the two of them spent their retirement doing whatever they felt like.

  With some of their money, they bulldozed down the building that used to be a little club by the name of Rich Man. In its place, they built a small park, complete with a colorful garden, filled with flowers. They spent a lot of their retirement in that very park, sitting on the benches and strolling through the garden holding hands. After all, it had been on that very location that they had first laid eyes on each other.