Chapter 4

The morning of the first of September dawned an unusually warm day, at least to Hayley who was used to freezing temperatures at this time of year. The alarms chirp was too cheerful, and as a result ended up the unfortunate victim of being thrown against a wall. Feeling immediate guilt, she fixed it with a repair charm, then set about her morning routine. She scooped Trixie's litter, showered and got dressed. She then double checked that she had packed everything before charming her trunk to float behind her as she carried Trixie in her cage to the front door. The poor dear had been playing all night and had tuckered herself out, now she was sleeping soundly buried in her pile of blankets.

Breakfast this morning was pancakes, and Hayley would be damned if she let the boys eat them all. She made her way to the dining room and seated herself at the tables seconds before the boys came sprinting in, nearly crashing into the dining room table in their rush.

"Pancakes! Pancakes!" They started to chant, as the family's house elf entered the room carrying three large stacks of pancakes, the boy's eliciting an eye roll from Hayley. Apparently pancakes were a first day of school tradition, and this being the final year, things in the kitchen had really been amped up. There were all of the toppings one could wish for with pancakes, and 3 different types of pancakes. All of which were equally delicious. By the time the family had eaten their fill it was almost time to head off.

"I'm so proud of all three of you, and I hope you do wonderful things at school this year!" Euphemia announced, hugging each of the teens one after another.

***

Platform Nine and Three Quarters was crowded, loud and smoky, and if Hayley had to be honest with herself, she was finding it all to be overwhelming. There were easily ten times the amount of students on the platform than there had ever been at her school. New Zealand was a small enough country on it's own, let alone the magical community, that was just a mere drop of the population.

Up and down the platform were friends reuniting, and families preparing to say their final goodbyes until the next summer, or at least until Christmas. Shortly after arriving, Remus and Peter had chanced upon them, and now their families were all standing around in a large group. Sirius suddenly ducked his head and hid behind Hayley, who was definitely not the best person to conceal a larger human.

"There's my family," he hissed, "standing there with my brother." The Potters faces all went cold, and a bewildered Hayley scanned the crowd. She spotted a three person family, two parents and a teenager not much younger than them. The boy looked vaguely like a memory of Sirius, clearly the family resemblance ran strong in the Black family. She tried to search her brain for a name. Regulus! That was it.

***

The whistle on the train blew, and suddenly it was time to say the final goodbyes. Hayley found herself clinging to her Aunt a little longer.

"Have a good year child, good luck, and write whenever you can, I'll make an effort to always respond." Was whispered in her ear. Then she followed Sirius into the train. James had gone a different way as he was expected in a meeting with all the prefects.

Sirius counted the compartments as they passed, it seemed as if he was looking for one in particular. Finally he stopped and slid a door open, peering inside he was satisfied that no one had gotten to their usual haunt before them. He put his trunk into the luggage rack, then without asking hefted Hayley's in too before taking a seat. Peter trailed in after them and shut the door.

Hayley opened the door to Trixie's cage and settled the kitten in her lap, stroking the purring form occasionally. A companionable silence fell over the trio, and they remained that way until the door slid open to reveal a witch with a trolley full of food. Trixie was once again stowed away in her cage, and one by one the compartments occupants bought candy and snacks, Hayley buying extra for James, and Sirius for Remus when they got back.