Chosen Love

The air inside the castle was cool, and for that, Hyunjin was grateful. His outfit was stifling and itchy, but the slight breeze running through the halls made it all the more bearable. He adjusted his crown, trying to make it sit as prettily as possible atop his head, though it kept slipping. Today more than any other he needed to look as presentable as possible.

Someone knocked on his door, and he glanced in the mirror to see who was standing in the doorway. His older brother was leaning against his door frame, already immaculately dressed. He had a soft smile on his face, and despite his stress, Hyunjin couldn't help but smile back at Jinyoung.

He waved his brother in, "Come in hyung."

His brother stood behind him, resting his hands on Jinyoung's shoulder, "Are you nervous for today? Or excited? This is a big deal."

Hyunjin shrugged, "I guess I'm feeling a little bit of both right now, but mostly nervous. I don't want to let father down."

"I suppose that's my fault. I apologize that the burden of finding a wife has fallen to you, and that it was my fault."

Hyunjin scoffed, "Oh please, I have never seen you as happy as you are married to Jackson. I would never want to take that away from you. Where is Jackson anyways, I must thank him."

Jinyoung smiled widely at the mention of his husband, "He's out in the hall, working on some last-minute changes. You know how he gets when he throws a ball like this. He just needs it to go perfectly. I'm sure that you can catch up with him at some point though, he'll love to hear from you."

"Yes, I will have to catch him at some point. I really am grateful to him for throwing this ball for me, it means a great deal."

Jinyoung simply smiled at him, "Well, what better place to find your wife than at a ball thrown by Jackson?"

Hyunjin reached up and gripped his brother's hand that was resting on his shoulder, "Do you really think I'll find a wife here?"

"Well, if father has anything to say about it, you will."

Hyunjin laughed along with his brother but the words sent a pang through his heart. His father, the King, was getting older, and had recently fallen ill. Though it was likely his father would soon recover, it was more important than ever for the prince next in line marry a woman to carry on the family line. This should have fallen to Jinyoung as the eldest son; however, it became impossible when Jinyoung chose Jackson as his husband-to-be at his choosing ceremony. With Jinyoung unable to continue the line, that left the job to be Hyunjin's burden, or honor, if their father was asked. Hyunjin really needed this ball to go well, and by the end of the night he had better have chosen his bride.

Hyunjin stopped laughing abruptly, "But, really brother, what if I cannot? What if I fail father?"

Jinyoung sighed and pressed a kiss to the back of Hyunjin's head, "Father only wishes for you to be happy. If you find a bride or not tonight, father will be proud of you. You know Jackson would be so pleased to throw you another ball."

Hyunjin laughed again, but this time the tightness in his chest loosened, "Of course, I am only seventeen, there will still be time. Father grows stronger every day; it is not that urgent."

"Exactly! Now come along, I fear we have wasted all the time we had left. Let's go find you a bride, hmm?"

His brother fixed Hyunjin's crown and lead him out of his room. Hyunjin followed behind his brother with light steps, wringing his hands tightly together. As they got closer to the ballroom, he could hear the musicians playing and the sounds of soft chatter floating down the hallway. Soon enough they were rounding the corner to the top of a grand staircase, where he and his brother stood overlooking the ballroom and all of their guests.