2. If Only

One year later...

Seokjin's P.O.V.

"I'm excited too Hobi! It's been so long since I have seen you guys after you two planned to move to the edge of the world!" I decided to inform them rather than barge in the next day. This getaway was a hasty plan due to an assignment on bird watching and  nature photography for my finals. I have been passionate about photography all my life and thus couldn't look away from the chance I was given when my application had been finally accepted for the course on Photography.  I've been invisible all this time and I don't really hate that but I have a dream, I want the world to know me  through my passion. Hence, the trip to the little town huddled in the midst of a thinly populated valley encircled by a mountain range, the perfect hub of exquisite feathered beauties.

"Like you care about us you lying shit! Thank goodness for the assignment for your finals. I am going to send some gifts to that Professor of yours". Hobi retorted, good thing he cannot see me rolling my eyes at him. Like it's possible to travel 2980 miles every weekend, heck I got a routine to follow here!

"Yeah yeah.." I drawled at the device nestled between my ear and shoulder as I cooked dinner. "Pack some woolens, it gets cold in here and don't forget your motion sickness meds, trust me you will need it." I smiled at his thoughtfulness and care, Hobi really is one of a kind. I suddenly realized how much I've missed him the last few months. "I'm on it! Love you Hobi, and kiss Yoongi for me." I giggled knowing what was coming next. "Yah! Do not stay up too late and don't you dare to miss the flight tomorrow!" He warned before disconnecting the call. Yes, been there and done that. He actually knows me way too well.

I put the phone down on the counter and went to get the meds Hobi had suggested. The apartment is way too empty and lonely since Hoseok moved out six months ago. I'm glad they finally decided to have a place of their own, although I still don't get why it had to be on such a remote end. Well at least they are happy that's all I'm concerned about. It feels really great you know to see high school sweethearts growing up to find their way into adulthood, building their lives through the struggles of today and all the while knowing where their heart lies. It kind of kindles a weird hope at times, faith weaving its way into my head. Too close to a fairytale if you ask me.

I checked if I had packed the essentials one last time and headed to the shower.

Ring...Ring.

"Hey Kook! What's up?"
"Are you all set to go tomorrow?" My project partner and my ever constant company for the last year asked in a low voice.

"Yup! All set. Wish me luck!" I chimed happily. "You know I think I should accompany you, it's our assignment after all." Something felt unusual about his voice.

"But your dad called you to visit him, didn't he? I told you I got friends there. It's fine Kook, no worries." I assured him but was met with an odd silence on the other end of the line.

"Yeah okay. Take care of yourself Jin. Call me when you reach." He never sounds this monotonous, "is everything ok? Is something troubling you?" I am kind of worried for him now.

"Nah, nothing. It's nothing. Your flight's early, right? You must grab some sleep. Goodnight Jin, have a safe flight."

Beep.

That was weird. I have known Kook for a year now and this is the first time he sounded so off and awkward. I guess it's some family issue bothering him. I'll make sure to talk to him later about it. Need to shower and sleep for now...got a long ride tomorrow.

Jungkook's P.O.V.

I am worried sick.

Things are never as simple as they look. I am learning that with every passing minute. I know I need to be realistic.

And then there's Jin, there's something about him that draws me inadvertently towards him, over and over again. I know I'm not supposed to but I can't help it. Yes, I am scared to reveal who I am to him, but he's making me want to lose my inhibitions. I want to tell him I would follow him to the end of the world but the truth is I'm stuck in mine.

"Yup Jeon Jungkook you are pathetic" I am so fucking annoyed at myself!

Every time I tried to talk to Jin, like really 'talk' I messed it up somehow. One time I giggled too much out of nervousness and as usual he started to talk to me in a baby voice, calling me a bunny. Apparently having a cute smile which shows my slightly bigger front teeth makes me look like a baby bunny! I don't even understand where he gets such crazy ideas! Now tell me how was I supposed to tell him something so important while he sat there squeezing my cheeks and petting my head. What do I do to make him take me seriously?!

Then I tried another way, I asked him to have dinner with me.

No way was I going to take a chance of getting babied again! I decided to dress up so damn well that he'd find me irresistible. I chose a smart-fitted dark suit, combed back my fringes and sleeked it into a side part. Man did I look good! I could even pass for an idol. I drove to his building, taking my time to walk to his apartment which was on the third floor. Straightened my suit  and put on my smexy smouldering look right before I rang his doorbell, call it my very own 'special effects', and waited to see the reaction on his face.

But it was him who knocked the air out of my lungs when he opened the door in his shortie shorts and loose t-shirt, his light brown hair pushed back by a pink headband and to top it all he had a face mask on!

"Kook! Wow you look good" I love how every time he calls my name his plump pink lips get so pouty. "Oh God! Did you get stood up by your date?" I must look too dazed and blank. I could see his soft brown eyes look at me with loving concern, his caring attitude touches me every time I am lucky to witness it. I give in to his embrace as he wrapped his arms around me and snuggled into the crook of his neck to get a whiff of his scent.

Home. He feels like home.

"It's ok, happens to the best of us. Let's order pizza and watch something on Netflix, what say?" He tried cheering me up. I don't know why I was smiling. He had absolutely forgotten about me asking him to have dinner with me but I wasn't upset with him. It isn't possible for me to get upset with him. He pulled away from the hug. "Sure. Who can say no to such a proposal" I chuckled seeing him smile through the mask which had peeled halfway from a side. " I'll get rid of this. Put something on Netflix will you? I'll let you choose for tonight." He said walking inside, I followed him in as I shut the door.

Maybe next time...

I shuffled through the pictures we had taken that night. The pizza had arrived soon, I had changed into a pair of his gray sweatpants and a t-shirt, and binge watched a random series. We had lost track of time and fallen asleep on the couch.

I swiped and halted at a picture, a particular one I often gaze at longingly, hopefully.

I had just woken up to find Jin curled up beside me, his head resting on my shoulder. I remember how soft his locks felt against my cheek. I looked at his face, his cheeks glowing with vitality and due to the muffled rays of the morning sun that seeped in through the living room curtains. I closed my eyes reliving the moment.

I am going to make it right Jin. Someday you are going to realize how much you mean to me.

And there it was again, that warm fuzzy feeling in my chest and that smile that curved unknowingly at my lips every time I thought about him.

á na márië