Chapter 2

He watched as the girl walked into the school grounds with her bag slung over her shoulder. She looked just like any other student, but even just looking at her back anyone could tell that she was beautiful.

Even though she was not that tall, her figure looked proportionate with her proper posture. Her black hair was tied in a braid and her walk was swift and graceful.

After a few days of being in school, Vincent could tell that the girl didn't realize her own popularity. Every time it was recess, she would look around the class only to look dejected afterwards because no one approached her. She thought no one wanted to be her friend.

Being the one sitting behind her in class, Vincent could see everything. Her fidgety gestures in contrast to her cold expression, her look of longing when she glanced at a group of girls. Honestly, to him, she looked silly.

In the first few days, a bunch of classmates surrounded him every single day. They were quite a bunch. Even when Vincent only replied with short answers, they still gathered around him. But the number continued to decrease with time as they realized they should give Vincent some space. Or maybe because they thought he was unapproachable.

In one of those days, some of them talked about Gloxinia without him asking.

"I wish I sit behind Gloxinia too," one girl fawned.

The others around him, whether it was a boy or a girl, nodded in agreement. Vincent could guess that they somehow idolized Gloxinia. He knew she was beautiful, but he didn't think it would make other people like her this much.

Perhaps it was because of her charisma as a Spirit of the Lake, or perhaps it was plainly because their classmates adored beautiful people.

Vincent couldn't understand Gloxinia's actions. For him, being at this school was the only way for him to serve his punishment.

"And while you're at it, keep an eye on something for me," he remembered his superior say.

Vincent knew this punishment wouldn't be as simple as just going to school, but to think that he was appointed to watch over a person fated to become an angel of death in the future--

"If you do it well, you might even get your sentence reduced."

Vincent couldn't refuse. He didn't want to be here for long - being among the living just didn't suit him. He was Death, and he preferred to be among the dead.

This morning, he entered the class right after Gloxinia. There was still no one there because they were the earliest to come, so they just sat down on their respective desks without saying anything to each other. Somehow, that had become their code: to not bother with each other.

After a few minutes passed without any other students coming in, Gloxinia seemed to be growing bored. She suddenly stood up and went over to the window facing the front of the school.

Vincent glanced at her. He watched as she stopped right before the window and looked at the students coming in through the school gates. The sun shined on her, making it look as if she was in the spotlight. She wasn't even smiling, but the sight of her was enough to take anyone's breath away.

Vincent heard voices from outside the class and the door being opened. He looked at the door when it opened, revealing a few classmates who were talking to each other just now. They immediately went silent at the sight of Gloxinia by the window.

Vincent thought their faces looked quite amusing.

After that, their classmates started coming one by one and the class was filled with people. That was the usual morning in this school.