About Your Talents

Your talents do not make you special; they make you responsible. They make you accountable to God. Talents are intended to glorify God and further His Kingdom. They are gifts and abilities that you did not, nor could ever create. Your talents are not who you are, but they do point to Whom you belong.

Unfortunately, much of society celebrates the gifts instead of the person. They tend to glorify talents while discarding people. What would happen to those worshipped by the public, if suddenly, all their talents were gone? Would they be where they are today without them? Why do a number of people hang on every word of those who exhibit great talent in any given area, but have no character? Why do they not listen to the “common everyday person?” People are created to worship and if they do not worship God, they will worship people or things. That means people whom they worship must be special. In a sense, talents are miraculous. People look at them as miracles when their “gods” display them.

As a whole, society does not recognize how precious the individual is, because it does not recognize God. When people recognize and acknowledge God, they will place value on individuals. In many cases, those who do not acknowledge God, tend to devalue people. Psalm 139:14-18 says, “I will praise Thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are Thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well. My substance was not hid from Thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in Thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them. How precious also are Thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with Thee” (KJV). Every thought that the Father has toward people is precious. People are gifts who display talents. We need to celebrate them for who they are, and not what they possess or do.

Before going further, let it be clear that the Lord also designed us to follow others He placed in authority. This is another topic in of itself; however, in order to be in authority, one must be under authority. Those who are in authority are also held accountable for their use of that authority.

Frequently, when people are not loved and affirmed as they should be, they turn to their talents. They develop them in order to be noticed. They seek to excel in them so they will be loved, adored and admired. They are compensating for what they did not receive. Unfortunately, it never remedies what the need is, nor does it heal their wounds. That is why they are never satisfied with their current success, which is a counterfeit to our design. Meaning, while we as believers rest in the Lord, we will desire to labor for Him until our time on earth passes. As it written, “For we are His workmanship (masterpiece), created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them” (Ephesians 2:10, KJV). We are not driven to fulfill a personal need or shortcoming. When a person truly receives the love of God, he or she will not have to seek affirmation. Those who turn to their talents will never be satisfied because they are not receiving the love they desire; their accolades are the center of attention. They find that they are not being loved for themselves, but they are “loved” for what they have to offer, and not for who they are.

When people excel in their talents, it appears to be good stewardship. However, if that excellence is for the expressed purpose of self-glorification, it is poor stewardship. One of the byproducts of compensating for lack is the individual who takes it to another level and seeks worship from others. For example, when a rock star raises his arms as he steps onto the stage, what is he looking for? He is looking for adoration from his fans, and the exhilaration that comes with the sense of power when they respond according to his desire. Granted, some raise their hands in appreciation to those who put them there. Unfortunately, some are trying to steal the glory that belongs to God. Again, we should be using our talents to glorify Him.

While a number of talented people appear to “have it all,” they are hurting desperate souls. Why else would we read about celebrities needing rehab or committing suicide? Their stardom, riches and accolades are never enough. Do not be too fast to envy their lifestyle. Sometimes those who are the most outlandish are in dire need of love.

Question: are you one who hides behind your talent? If so, why?

www.perfectfaith.org