Don't Trust Love

He stands on the balcony, with the lights glittering in the cityscape below-his back is huge, and my heart ache, as I struggle between wanting to hug him, or running away.

"You know, you don't have to stand there to stare at me, Hayley."

I look down, before breathing in. I walked forward. I refuse to look at him.

"Why did you avoid me, Hayley?"

I breathe in. What can I say, except that I'm scared to go close?

He licks his lips. "I'm sorry if that day made you uncomfortable. I know you aren't interested in a relationship. I..."

"I know. You can't help it."

The lights seem to make the moment magical, but there's nothing but unspoken words between us.

"I don't hate it," I said.

I can hear him shift his head toward me.

"I just don't know how to digest it."

"Why do you say that?"

"We aren't supposed to love. This is just a friends for benefit relationship. Yet." I walk toward him and hug him tightly. Just this one time, then I'll leave.

"I know. But love has its own mind, Hayley."

"Really?" Yes, it does. Then it changes its mind and leave us behind, with the memories of what once was.

He hugs me back. "I know you don't want love anymore. I know what it feels like to be burned by it, and you do too." He then kiss me on my neck, sending shivers to me.

I close my eyes, remembering five years ago, where I divorced Jacob. I married him for ten years, and it all went down the drain, with a single stroke of a pen.

Jacob and I once believed that love could conquer everything-that love was the key to a marriage.

It was more than that.

"Do you have to make me hope, Rick?" I kiss his ear, smelled his aftershave. I want to imprint these sensations in my mind. He hugs me tighter.

"You make me hope too, Hayley."

"I don't believe in love," I said.

"Me too. But you know what I believe in?" He let's go of me, and cup my face. He stares at me, not letting go of my gaze. "I believe in you."

"You trust me too much, Rick."

"Hayley, I'm scared too. Love is scary. It leaves when it wants to. But I think that I rather try this with you, than to regret never. Because I don't want my mind to be filled with what ifs."

I look away. "What if it doesn't work out in the end?" What if I'm not strong enough to stand up again?

He hold my hand. "Even if it doesn't, I would know one thing-I won't regret being with you. Life comes with pain and joy. And the joy you bring is worth more than the pain."

I grip his hand.

Then let go.

"I'm not as brave as you."

Then I turn away, betraying his faith in me.