cashton pt2

*WARNING: MUCH LONGER THAN USUAL. SENTENCE

when calum was told of ash's overdose, he didn't know what to think. he hadn't known the boy very well, he had never had a full conversation with him. the only thing they ever shared with each other were blunts and cigarettes. of course, he was disappointed and really quite sad, but he didn't cry. not until ash's funeral. then he cried more than he ever thought he could.

he truly had not known ashton at all, and he regretted that more than ever. but when calum went up to his coffin, he saw everything. the bruises on his face and the scars on his arms, and the bones of his whole body poking out because he didn't eat. he noticed the social security worker standing with her head in her hands because ashton was the only one to ever keep in contact with her. he noticed that ashton was more beautiful than anyone or anything could ever be, but he was much too late.

*IN THE HAPPY ENDING, ASHTON DOESN'T DIE.

when calum heard of ashton's overdose, he heard it from his best friends Michael and Luke, he asked what hospital he'd went to. as soon as they told him, he was running for his car and fumbling with the keys and the gear shift. he sped down the highway and nearly got pulled over four times before he made it. cal jumped out of his car racing toward the doors.

why was he so worried? they had never talked or really known each other, so why was he so invested in this boy? calum didnt know that for sure but as he sat in the waiting room, waiting for something, anything to happen, he took out the polaroid. the polaroid that cal had took the last time he had sat in the sunflower field with him. ashton was sleeping peacefully, and while the blonde was asleep calum had taken his camera and snapped a shot before leaving ash with a note and his lighter. the picture seemed heavenly, golden curls sprawled across grass and flattened flowers and hazel eyes hidden behind tanned eyelids. he looked so peaceful, like nothing would ever bother him.

calum started at that polaroid for a good half hour before a nurse called for relatives of ashton irwin. and the maori boy might've lied and said he was ash's cousin, but no one needed to know that. as he was being led down the hall, he wondered what was going through ashton's mind. if he was thinking about calum too. he didn't need to worry though, because the first thing ash said when he walked in the room was calum's name. how the blonde knew his name was a mystery, but not an unwelcome one. they talked until visiting hours were over, about their lives and their feelings and ashtons overdose. ashton told calum about his abusive father, his eating disorder, his drug addiction, his love for sunflowers, and his feelings for cal. calum told ashton about how he felt about ashtons life, the time spent together in the sunflowers, and his feeling for ashton. their first kiss was slow and gentle, their lips slotting together perfectly. maybe they both cried buckets of tears. maybe calum asked ashton out and they had a date the next week. all calum could say is that he was glad he laid in those sunnies with a druggie.

there we go! how did everyone like it? i'm really proud of it, I feel like it's the best one in the book :-)