S. 4

"WHAT-" WILL STARTED, But Mike was already pulling him up.

He sat in the taller of the chairs, and gestured for Will to do the same. Will hung his backpack on the back of the other chair and sat down gingerly. 

"Okay, here are the rules: first one to the school entrance wins. No getting up from the chair, no matter what. You got it?" Mike said.

Will's lips started quivering with a hint of a smile.

"Hey, no smiling! this is serious!" Mike stared at Will with intensity as the smile widened.

"I'm serious, Byers! Do you want me to disqualify you from the first annual roller-chair Olympics?"

"I thought it was a derby," Will's eyes were starting to glow with a mischievous glimmer, and Mike had to swallow his own smile. It was already working.
"Shut up! Okay, on your marks-" Mike placed both his hands on the arms of the chair, his feet ready to push off the ground- "three, two, one-"

"GO!" Will yelled, pushing past him on his chair.
"cheater!" Mike yelled after his fast disappearing silhouette before pushing the ground and starting after the brunette.

                                                                                   ✴ ⁕ ✴ ⁕ ✴

The cold wind blew past Mike's face as he darted in the empty halls, the wheels of the chair making a deafening dragging sound on the floor.

Finally, he saw Will's chair ahead of him. He had slowed down considerably. Mike understood, as he was also growing extremely tired. But the competitive spirit in him pushed him forward, a spirit he knew Will also possessed, unlikely as it seemed.

Mike smiled another smile, pushing his aching feet off the ground harder. He passed by Will, and when he did he reached and pushed the back of his chair so that Will started spinning fast in place. 

"Keep up!" He yelled as he continued by, going so fast he had to reach and push the lockers on the sides, almost crashing into them headfirst.
"I'm going to kill you!" He heard Will's voice from behind him, and heard the sound of Will's wheels joining his own.

He laughed loudly, the cold winds slapping against his face.

at this point, he had lost all control of the chair. the walls started blurring into a mess of color, the creaking sounds of the wheels deafening him. But still his feet were kicking as fast as he could. 

He could already see the double doors, but behind him he heard Will getting closer- his legs pushing harder and harder, Will's chair getting closer- 

SLAM.

He rode straight into the wall right by the doors, and flew off his chair as it continued spinning away and away. less than a second and then-

another slam. Will flew off his own chair, grasping his bag tightly and slamming into the floor right besides Mike.

                                                                                    ✴ ⁕ ✴ ⁕ ✴

The laughter was instantaneous. Mike barley had breath to laugh, but he still managed to roar somehow.

His whole body was shaking, the Adrenalin still coursing through his veins. he was sweaty and out of breath, but he couldn't remember when he had had so much fun.

He looked at Will, who was also doubled down with laughter. his genius plan had worked- the sad Will who was on the floor besides him just barely ten minuted ago was long gone. He had cheered Will up, and his body started glowing with warmth.

"I won," Mike said, smiling when the laughter started dying down. He sat up so his back was leaning against the cold wall, that was now nice against his hot and sweaty skin. Will gasped loudly, his eyes widening.

"Shut up! you did not!" He pushed Mike's shoulder playfully, but again, the touch caused a weird sensation in Mike's entire body.

Will used Mike's shoulder to get up too, sitting next to him and leaning back on the wall. Mike was strangely aware of how close he was sitting, his whole stomach turning. god, he must've pushed himself too hard in the race. 

Will opened his bag and took out a water bottle, still gasping for breath. he pushed his hair out of his eyes,and Mike noticed his bangs were just a little too long. It was... adorable.

On the bottom of Will's bottle was a blue-green-pink friendship bracelet, clearly hand woven in a unique pattern. It was extremely familiar, and it didn't take Mike long to understand where he knew it from.

"Hey, my girlfriend has one of these!" Mike said, gesturing at the bracelet. Jane had an identical one on her wrist.

 A variety of expression passed across Will's face in the span of half a second, until it settled on surprise. 
"girlfriend?" he asked, his voice weirdly composed.

"Yeah, Jane Hopper! but you know we're dating," Mike was confused too. He was still friends with Will when they had started going out...

Will's face was composed in the expression of surprise as he he looked at Mike.
"Oh, I thought you guys were over..."

"Why would you think that?" Mike was suddenly defensive. Will took a perfectly timed sip from the bottle, his eyes carefully avoiding Mike's. The sip was just a beat too long.

"Well, Max made it for Jane... this one is just a practice one she gave to me," he said finally, wiping little droplets of water from his chin.
"So?" Mike's voice was still defensive, and he stared at Will expectantly.

"Mike, come on," Will said. But Mike truly didn't understand.

"I know they're friends, but what does it have to do with my relationship with Jane? why are you being so weird about this?"

Will raised his eyebrow at Mike, like he couldn't believe Mike. Mike was getting frustrated. what was he not getting??

"umm... well..." Will stalled, "well... Max and Jane have kind of- well, they have been dating for the last few months. I thought you guys were over... I'm really sorry."

[AUTHOR SAYS]

Just watched Frozen 2:)) we stann