~6~

Night drew in quickly, and all the Mikaelson's came back to the mansion. Davina had helped Carolyn practise her magic for around 5 hours before leaving to be with Kol. Carolyn continued to practise in the garden of the mansion. She practised spells like simple protections to the one where she could incapacitate vampires. While she was practising her binding spell, a twig snapped from behind. Carolyn whipped around and pressed her wrists together, binding the person who snuck up on her. With a gasp, she dropped the spell, "Oh my god, I'm so sorry, Elijah!" Elijah got up from the ground and brushed his coat off. Carolyn winced. She flicked her right hand and blew the remaining part of the dust off. Elijah gave a small smile, "good to know that you are prepared." he spoke. Carolyn gave a small chuckle.

They stayed in silence for a moment before Carolyn spoke, "The stars are beautiful," Elijah looked at her, "Have you never seen stars before then?" Carolyn shook her head, "Not as clearly as I can now. I was always in a city where my best view was a skyscraper," Elijah sighed, "I have seen many a star in my life, but yes, they are quite beautiful tonight,"

The pair stayed in a comfortable silence again, but this time it lasted longer than last time. Carolyn closed her eyes and allowed the breeze to play with her hair. Elijah cleared his throat, ruining the moment. "May I speak with you about Niklaus?" He asked with no hesitation. Carolyn frowned slightly but nodded nonetheless. "Sure, go for it," She said, walking over to the patio chairs and taking a seat. Elijah followed suit.

He didn't speak for a few seconds. "What do you think of Niklaus?" he asked. Carolyn sighed and thought about it.

He was sweet and protective of her. He saved her life less than 2 weeks ago and stayed with her while she was sacred.

"I honestly don't know, Elijah. I-" Carolyn cut herself off with a sigh. Elijah waited for an answer. "I... think... that he has trouble getting close to people and pushes them away in the process," Carolyn started. Elijah nodded, "Yes... but what do you think of him, Carolyn? I won't care what you say," Carolyn looked into the eyes of the man who never broke his word, "I think that he is a nice person and that he is kind... he didn't have to save my life, nor treat me nicely, but he has and does... I think he's a good person," Carolyn finished. She began to believe her own words, they were said with such passion. Elijah's face broke out into a small smile, "I'm glad someone else sees that in him." They stayed in another round of silence. "Have you noticed that his behaviour has changed since you first arrived?" Carolyn stayed silent, that being enough to answer his question. "You bring out the best in him, Carolyn. I've never seen him act the way he does than when he's around you, not in over 1,000 years. He acts like he did when he was younger before any of this happened." Elijah finished, sounding at peace. Carolyn smiled, "I'm glad... he makes me feel good as well, even if he's an annoying asshole," Elijah snorted. He grabbed Carolyn's right hand and clasped it tightly, "I'm glad you're here, Carolyn," Carolyn smiled and Elijah left, leaving Carolyn to her mind. She rested her right elbow on the table and wiggled her fingers, fascinated by the sudden breeze.

She allowed her eyes to close.

~

Klaus stepped outside after a... heated... discussion with Rebekah and Kol to cool off. He walked over to the patio chairs and sat down without really paying attention.

His vision cleared from the red of his anger and he noticed Carolyn to his left, dozing. Staying quiet, Klaus watched the stars above. He leant back with a sigh and tried to find the constellations hidden within.

But he couldn't focus on that.

He could only focus on Carolyn.

She's a beautiful woman. He thought to himself. Her spirit is fiery but can be tamed. She is kind and patient. Klaus found himself analysing every small detail of her look to the small freckle on her nose, to the slightly misshapen fingernail on her left hand.