Chapter VII

I woke the next morning feeling drowsy and groggy. The pitiful ache in my heart throbbed uncomfortably as I sat upright, noticing that I had been tucked into a large bed in the centre of a rich-looking room. I noticed a spacious bathroom adjacent and made my way into it, splashing water on my face before looking up at my reflection.

My hair was tousled and my eyes were rimmed red from hours spent crying, I noticed the shower behind me and got in, taking time to be alone with my thoughts as the hot water pounded against my body.

I managed to find a spare toothbrush in one of the cupboards and made myself more presentable before I stepped back into the open plan bedroom to see if I could find any clean clothes.

My eyes caught sight of a small pile of fabric folded on the bed, it was a simple pair of black leggings and an oversized long-sleeved top which I noted as one of Damon's.

I felt a small smile raise to my lips as I got dressed, the shirt becoming more of a short dress, making me thankful for the leggings that I put underneath then I made my way downstairs to where everyone was gathered in the livingroom in deep conversation.

I recieved glares from Elena and Jeremy when I entered the room but I ignored them, instead sending a small nod of gratitude to Damon when he let his eyes flicker to my attire with a smirk.

"Is that Damon's shirt? You gave her your shirt?" Elena said, directing her glare onto Damon and I tried to hide my smile as his eyes flickered around the room, looking at anything but her furious gaze.

"I will be joining you on your search for the cure but for my family. My sister wants it just as much and I will be doing this for her. I would recommend that you count yourself lucky that I will not be seeking revenge for my brother's life, for now." I said and forced myself to ignore the surge of anger that rushed through me when Elena scoffed.

"No. You're not coming. You tried to kill us." She said.

"There is no use arguing, I am coming. Might I remind you that you murdered my brother, I had every right to seek vengeance after I had found his burnt corpse left laying in your kitchen. Would you not do the same if I or my siblings killed Jeremy?" My patience was being tested but I kept my voice cool and stoney despite it's near break at the mention of my brother's murder. I saw Elena falter at my words, I nodded with confirmation.

"She can come. Besides if Rebekah is coming then she can too. She has her reasons to find the cure as do we all." My head snapped to Damon when he spoke and he sent me a small smile whilst Elena's jaw dropped near to the ground.

"She could kill us Damon!" She shouted.

"I agree. We stick to the plan, Amora comes. Besides if she was going to kill you she would have already. We leave tomorrow. Breakfast anyone?" Stefan smiled and I sent him a grateful smile.

He smirked at me then turned and left for the kitchen. Jeremy huffed and mumbled "dick" before following after Stefan, dragging Bonnie behind him. Elena stood glaring daggers at Damon before she too left when she realised that she wouldn't talk sense into him.

"Bourbon?" Damon looked at me as he made his way over to the drinks table and I nodded, watching him fill two glasses before handing one to me. "Can I ask you something? About us..."

His question took me off guard and I found myself staring at him for a moment before nodding, encouraging him to continue.

"How close were we? Because we weren't passing acquaintances you've made that very clear but I get this feeling with you.. like there was something more than you're all telling me..." he fixed his eyes on mine and I saw no trace of humor or sarcasm in them, just a million more questions.