Chapter XI

Flashback. Date: Unknown

"Would you like to dance?"

I looked up into a pair of charming blue eyes and smiled back at their owner.
"Lead the way."

I followed the man to the middle of the dance floor. His hands grabbed my hips and span me around so that my back was pressed tightly against his front and we began to sway along to the music.

We continued to dance for hours, to the point that I could hear his breathing become heavy with exhaustion though he made no move to leave the floor.

Eventually, I turned to face him and leaned up so my lips were against his ear.

"You're a hard man to find Galen Vaughn."

The shock was clear on his face as he jerked away from me but he soon regained his composure and raised an eyebrow in question. "You have been looking for me?"

"Indeed I have. And judging by the arsenal in your jacket, I'd say you were prepared for my visit."

He shifted a fraction at my words but only to pull my body closer against his. Though it was a more threatening action than amorous.

"When I was warned that one of your kind was coming to me, I was not expecting someone as pretty and angelic as you." He smirked, drawing his face closer to mine until our noses brushed.

Treacherously, my cheeks warmed and I stumbled in my train of thought. He was handsome, there was no denying, and the depth of his blue eyes reminded me of prettier, glacier-like ones of the past.

But hunters were clever, especially those of the five, they knew how to track down vampires and their instincts were to kill us upon sight. They pose to be our kind's greatest predators and for a long time my siblings and I feared the five near as much as we feared our own father.

It was hard to believe that I was now pressed tightly against one, dancing the night away in a bar as though we were nothing more than two strangers caught up in the mist of passion and desire.

"Why did you come?" He asked.

I looked around, noticing a few keen gazes fixed upon us and pulled away from his embrace.

"Maybe we should take this somewhere quieter?" I suggested.

He quirked an eyebrow in surprise. "You'd trust me alone?"

I fixed my gaze on his and hoped that his curiosity of me would overpower his killer instincts. This may have been the most brainless decision I had yet to make but I was ready to risk my life if it meant saving those of the ones I love.

"I suppose we will find out."

~•~•~•~•~