6

BAZ

French Incantations of the 18th Century never fails to catch my attention. However, strangely, my thoughts drift elsewhere. They drift to Snow and Wellbelove in the dining hall, where his words silenced the air around me.

"I think we should break up."

My ears are still ringing. Only naturally, my feelings for him are inconveniently riling up again, no matter how much I try to suppress them.

What surprised me more than Snow's declaration, however, was Wellbelove's response. She didn't seem despondent or angry. Her gaze shifted over to me briefly, and I quickly averted my gaze to the empty table in an attempt to appear indifferent.

Once their conversation was over, I bade Dev and Niall a quick farewell and fled to the library to make sense of it. I could only think that the reason Snow ended his relationship with Wellbelove was the love spell. Because of me. I shook my head. How ridiculous would that be?

I absentmindedly flip the page and see something unusual. It's a hastily-folded piece of parchment, tucked into the fold between pages. I raise my eyebrows (my curiosity is insatiable) and place the book on my lap so I can read the note.

"Meet me in the Courtyard after dinner?"

The handwriting is messy, like a second year's. But I recognize it. It's impossible not to, not when you've been living with the owner of it for nearly eight years. 

I feel his gaze pierce through me. I inhale sharply and my eyes wander over to the Elocution section. There he stands, his blue eyes prying into mine. His gaze alone almost sets me alight, a jolt jumping down my spine and tingles erupting through my ribcage. The corners of his lips pull into a playful smirk.

I suppose my expression can't contain my shock. He jerks his head slightly, gesturing towards the door. (His messy, bronze curls are longer than I remember.) (He needs a haircut). My heart pounds in my chest, and I'm afraid that he can hear it from across the room. Crowley, I'm swooning.

He anchors his hands into his pockets and casually exits the library.

I slump back in my chair, my eyes facing the ceiling. I close them and sigh frustratedly.

Simon Snow.

SIMON

I return to Mummers House and chipperly climb the stairs to my room. My heart's racing, but I doubt it's from my trip up the tower. I sit on the bed and recall the moment in the library, where time seemingly stopped around us. Baz's eyes bore into mine. Maybe he wants me, too.

It didn't take long to plan. It did take me forever, however, to find all those books that Baz regularly reads (I knew one of them was something French) and secretly hide the notes inside of them, then waiting for him to hopefully select one of them. He looked...somewhat excited about it, though. Honestly, I'm excited too. Excited and nervous.

I did something similar with Agatha, sneaking out after dinner to meet her in the Wavering Wood, but that place is now a sore spot, and the fountain in the Courtyard will be a much better place to rendezvous.

It seemed so much easier when Agatha and I entered a relationship. It was effortless, almost like it was fate. But, this is Baz, and I need every move I make to be as meticulous as I think he would want me to be. If this is real, then why does it make me so nervous? I'm isolating myself with a vampire at nighttime. That part is suspicious on its own, but strangely, that's not what I'm most antsy about. The mere thought of being alone with him, with the moon reflecting off the waters of the fountain, painting his skin silver and placing a sparkle in his eyes, makes my hands tremble.

But, what if he doesn't show up? What if I sit there for hours, waiting for him to come and he never does? Then, when I return to the room, will he taunt me? I can hear the cruel sneer in his voice, "Did you really think I would stoop so low to come, Snow? "

I shake the doubts away. If he doesn't show up, I'll find him. I'll tell him how I feel. If he returns them, I'll kiss him. The thought sends jitters through my stomach.

If anyone told me last year that I'd be fantasizing about kissing Baz, with his velvety lips, his long, dark eyelashes cutting thin shadows across his cheeks, and his cool hand cradling the back of my neck, I would have laughed in their face. Now, I'm wondering how his tongue will taste.

I fall backwards on my bed and cover my face with the underside of my pillow to hide my embarrassment. I don't remember these feelings being so intense or terrifying.

But, Baz has always been intense and terrifying, in his own way. Honestly, I've never wanted to have anyone more.

PENNY

As I sit in the library, combing through countless books on love spells and counterspells, I get more and more frustrated. It's difficult to find a way to reverse a spell when you don't completely understand how it works. Experimental spells are difficult, in the first place. You don't know what is going to happen. 

I--regrettably--roped Trixie into helping me, but she's mostly zoning out, daydreaming about her girlfriend rather than researching. 

I stand and gather more books from the shelves before dropping them a bit too loudly on the table to jolt Trixie from her trance. 

"Did you find anything?" she asks, in that irritatingly innocent tone of hers.

"Not yet," I say with a sigh, before settling back down in the chair. I could be doing months-worth of homework by the time I've been wasting time chasing dead-ends in this endless pile of books. 

I wonder how bad Simon is. I've been too busy keeping him off Baz, and even then my efforts are not nearly enough. He broke up with Agatha during mealtime, and, even though I hope that its the end of their on-again-off-again relationship, it was a sore time. He still chipperly denies that he is the subject of a love spell. 

Then again, with his obsession with Baz, and with how dense he is (He's my best friend.) (I'm allowed to call him dense.) it could be possible that his feelings were misplaced, and the spell is merely bringing them to light. I'm hoping that's the case, as it is the least complicated scenario I can think of.

I find another book on the subject and cast a spell to the section on love spells. I need to be as well-read on the subject as possible if there's hope of reversing this ailment that struck my unwitting best friend.

Oh, Trixie has hell to pay.