Girls

"Bye mom!" I waved to the woman in the doorway as I got into the car parked out on the street.

"Bye Izzy!" She yelled back at me and smiled.

"You ready to go?" Kyle said getting in the drivers seat after putting the last of my things into back of the car.

"Yep!" I smiled and looked over him.

He started the car and smiled back over at me. It felt good, to finally be out of high school and moving into an apartment with my boyfriend. Even though we had only been dating for a couple of months, it seemed like a good idea. I was going to an art school and he  said he wanted to go with me, so now we were going to be renting an apartment together.

"So are you excited to go to art school?" He asked on our way to San Francisco, California.

"Well I mean of course, just not so excited for the 12 hour drive." I said as I  flipped through the stations on the radio, trying to find one that was playing some good music.

"You do know we could have flown, right?" I rolled my eyes and looked over at him.

"I have too much stuff for that. Why do you think we rented a trailer?" I looked over at him and played with the piercing in my nose.

"You have a good point." He laughed. "Plus it's not really a 12 hour drive, we're staying at hotel halfway. So it's technically a 6 hour drive today, and a 6 hour drive tomorrow."

"Hey Kyle guess what, six plus six still equals twelve." I said and he rolled his eyes.

"Okay, well I'm still older and so I'm right." He said.

"Oh you're going to play that card? You're literally only three years older than me." I glared at him.

"Yea and atleast I'm legally an adult." He said.

"Wow, and you sure act like one sometimes." I was 17, kyle was 20. I graduated high school early, after my junior year. I couldn't wait to be away from my family and make a life for myself, elsewhere.

"Look I'm sorry, I didn't mean to fight with you Iz, I'm just trying my hardest to be my best with you."

"We weren't fighting." I blatantly said to him.

"Okay, if you say so." We drove for another hour without saying a word to each other.

Things were like this with him and I. Things have always been kind of weird between us.

A while back he was doing some hardcore drugs. He dragged me to a party with him and I found him in the bathroom doing lines of coke with one of his buddies. I had known he smoked weed, I mean hell sometimes I would join him, but I had no clue he was doing coke. After a had found him, he freaked out. He felt bad that I had to see him like that. And ever since then he's been trying to make up for his mistakes, in his own way I guess.

After a while I ended up falling asleep. When I woke up kyle was gently nudging me. "Izzy, we're here." He said and got out of the car. It was now dark outside and I had no idea where we were.

Before getting out of the car I decided to text my mom and tell her that we made it to the hotel. After that I called my best friend Lexie to tell her we had made it.

"Hey Lex." I said into the mic, yawning.

"Hey Iz, what's up?"

"I just wanted to call you and tell you we made it to the hotel, we should be to San Francisco by tomorrow. Did you get the keys to the apartment?" I asked her.

"Yep, I have them right here. I cant wait for you to get here. We're going to have so much fun!" She excitedly said through the phone.

I laughed. "Yea, well I'd better go, Kyle's waiting for me. Love you Lex." I said.

"Love you too Iz, see you soon!"

I hung up the phone and put it in my pocket, pushing the car door open. I grabbed my backpack from the backseat and followed kyle up to our hotel room.

As soon as I hit the bed I was out cold.

The next morning when I woke up I reached over to kyle but he wasn't there. I turned the TV on and saw that there was a note on the little nightstand. I got up and walked over to it, grabbing the note.

Hey Iz, I went out to grab some breakfast, I'll be back soon.
soon.
-Kyle

I sighed and walked back over to the bed, finding my phone and going on instagram.

After scrolling for way too long, kyle still wasn't back. I went to my backpack and pulled out my sketchbook. I began to sketch out faces and patterns onto the page until it began to look like a mess.

After a while, Kyle was finally back. "What took you so long?" I asked him and he came in, holding a bag of food.

"Sorry, there was traffic." He said and I narrowed my eyes and then shook my head. Traffic at 10 in the morning? I doubt that but I mean anything's possible, right?

"Okay, so what'd you get then?" I curiously asked him.

He pulled out two bagles with blueberry cheese cream and two iced coffees.

"Ooh those look good." I said, eyeing the bagel.

"Yea, don't I know you so well." He laughed.

I took the bagel from him and began to eat it. It tasted even better than it had looked.

I took a sip of coffee and looked over at Kyle. "So I called Lexie last night, she said she has the keys, so were going to have to stop by her apartment before we can go to ours."

He nodded and took a bite of his bagel. "Ok sounds good." After we finished eating, I hurried and took a shower before we left.

Since Kyle drove here, I had to drive the rest of the way, which I was really not excited for. I didn't necessarily hate driving, but driving in California? That was another story.

After driving for about two hours I needed to go to the bathroom so I pulled over at a gas station and went in to go to the bathroom. After that I walked back out to the car and saw that kyle had woken up from his nap, and he was on the phone with someone.

As soon as he saw me, he had hung up the phone and put it away. When I got to the car I asked, "who were you talking to?"

"Oh it was your brother actually. He said he was sad he didn't get to say bye to you before you left." He said.

"Oh, why didn't he just call me then?" I asked him.

"I don't know, he didn't say." He said.

Huh, weird.

I pulled out of the gas station and went back to driving towards California. After a while I had finally made it to Lexies house, thankfully without dying in the process.

I put the car into park and got out. I went up to her door and knocked. She immediately opened it and tackled me in a hug. "Oh my god Iz! I've missed you so much! I don't think I've seen you since I graduated like last year." I laughed and nodded. Lexie was 19 and I had met her my freshman year when she was a junior. We had instantly became friends, even though there was an age gap. It seems like I've always gravitated towards people who have been older than me.

"Yea." I laughed. "So how has you gap year been so far?" I asked her as she led me to her living room.

"Here and there. Up and down. Kinda boring if I'm being completely honest with you. But I'm so excited to be going to art school with you!" She exclaimed.

I smiled and gave her a hug. "I've missed you Lex."