The City

It's been about a month since the incident. I visited Kyle in jail once, and he didn't look good at all. He was having withdrawls and I wish I could have done something to help him, but I couldn't.

I ended up selling the apartment and moving in with Lexie. I've decided to cut all ties with Kyle, even though it was probably the hardest decision I have had to make so far in my life.

Even though I had been going to my classes, I just didn't feel like myself. As hard as I tried I couldn't bring myself to be myself. It just didn't feel right.

Today after Lexie and I got done with all of our classes I decided to have an actual talk with her.

"I think I'm going to try to transfer to ucla." I said to her. She didn't say anything for a couple of minutes, but then she did.

"Ok, well then I will too. I dont want you to be alone. You can't be alone, not right now." She said and smiled. I hugged her and actually felt like myself for a few seconds. I wished I could hold onto those seconds for the rest of my life.

"Ok well so we need to drive down to los angeles then." I said.

"Then let's go." She said an grabbed her stuff.

We both got Into her car and started to drive to los angeles. "You do know that if we get accepted then we're going to have to move down here." I said.

"Yea, I would actually rather live down in LA than San Francisco. I mean think about it, living in LA. Remember talking about it when we were younger?" She asked.

"Yeah, I just never thought that we could actually make it happen." I said.

"Well nothings set in stone yet, we've still got to go talk to the admissions office." She said and laughed.

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

After driving for a couple of hours we made it to the college campus. We made our way to the admissions office. Before we went in I decided to call my mom.

"Hey mom." I said into the phone.

"Hey sweetie how are you doing with everything?" She asked.

"I'm dealing." I said. "I was actually calling to say that I might be transfering to UCLA me and Lexie are down at the campus now and we're about to go talk to the admissions office."

"Oh sweetie that great! I hope you get in. I know you will." She said.

"Thanks. Oh hey have you told Issac what happened with Kyle? I know he's out of town on work so I was just wondering."

"I haven't told him anything about anything. I was hoping you'd be able to call him and tell him yourself." She said.

"Do you know when he gets back?" I asked.

"He should be getting back tomorrow."

"Okay, I'll try to call him then. Thanks mom. I love you."

"I love you too Izzy, good luck."

"Thanks."

I hung up and walked over to where Lex was standing.

"You ready?" She asked.

"Sure."

We walked into the office and sat down in the two chairs in front of the man who looked about 40 years old.

"So what can I do got you guys?" He asked us.

"Well we know that the application deadline is passed but is there any way we could still apply? We're currently attending an art college in San Francisco, but a few traumatic thing have happened and it would be great to have a change of scenery." I said, fiddling with my hands in my lap.

The man thought about it for a minute and then said, "I'll do what I can. I'm going to assume that you're going to be applying for the arts program here?" He asked.

"Yeah, it would be great to go to school here. I actually have my transcripts right here." I said.

"Yea so do I." Lexie said, pulling here out of the folder she was holding.

"That's great!" The man smiled, taking the papers from us. As he looked over the papers he looked at me and said, "you're only 17?" He asked.

"Yeah, I graduated a year early." He nodded and continued to look through the papers.

"I see you have a 4.0 and got a 34 on the act." He said.

I laughed, "yeah." I had always hated when teachers and parents always praised me about being smart.

"So why do you want to do art then? I mean its obvious that you're smart enough to become a brain surgeon." He laughed.

"Well, I don't like being defined by being smart. And with art I'm able to express myself through creativity and it's honestly a lot more fun than studying terms all day long." I laughed.

"That's true." He laughed. "So you Issabelle, have met all of the requirements to be admited to UCLA, except for the foreign language. I'll admit you if you take a foreign language class and a science class of your choosing."

"Oh my god are you serious?" I asked.

"What, is it too much to ask for?" I shook my head.

"No, this is great!" I smiled. "I can do that." I said.

He smiled back at me and then turned to Lexie. "Time for yours."

"Ok so I see you have a 3.2 GPA but yet you got a 34 on the act?" He said confused.

"Yeah about that." She laughed. "In high school all I did was screw around. Right now I'm wishing I would have done the assignments instead of going out every night."

"Well I think you both would make great students here."he paused looking between the two of us. "Lexie, I'll admit you on the condition that you also have to take a foreign language, but more importantly I want you to apply yourself. Can you do that?"

She nodded and smiled. "Yes of course."

"Okay, so all of our dorms are currently full, but I can notify you as soon as one becomes open?" He said.

"No that's okay, we'll be renting an apartment." I said, looking over at Lex.

"Ok great. Well I'll get all this paperwork filed. If you guys can just go down the hall to the classes office, they will get you set up with your schedule."

We stood up and thanked him again, and then made our way down the hall. "Holy shit we did it." I laughed.

We walked into the office and got our schedules set up. We would be starting a week from today, so that they had time to get everything set up.

After wandering around the campus for a couple of hours, we decided that we should go look st dome apartments near by. Lexie went on her phone and found a few that were just open to look at, so we drove to them to look at them.

We looked at a total of three apartments and I like the second one the best. It was in modern grey cement looking budding and had a gym and pool down stairs. There was a pretty big parking lot and it wasn't too far from the campus.

We decided we might as well call the realtor office that was selling the apartment and tell them that we wanted to put down a deposit.

"Okay, they said they'd be here shortly." Lex said after getting off the phone.

"I can't believe that we're actually doing this, it all seems so sudden." I said.

"Yea you're right. But this is for the best. You needed to get away from everything, make a different life for yourself. One where you're safe and happy." She said.

"Yeah. I guess you're right. I haven't even thought about Kyle since today." I shrugged. It no longer made me sick to say his name.

"Great!" She smiled. "well and you know what they say, if you wanna find love then you know where the city is."