Dragon's Call

CHAPTER SUMMARY

CHAPTER SUMMARY

Merlin arrives in Camelot.

BEGINNING NOTES

Chapter Rating: General Audiences
Content Warning: Cursing
Word Count: 4426

Yes, I normally write Percy Jackson fanfiction, but this is a fic that's been sitting in my brain for literal years now, so I'm straying from the usual path. For my PJO fans, I will be continuing my other fanfictions while I update this one.

This fic is basically a rewrite of the BBC Merlin series where each chapter is one episode (except once per "season" I write a chapter that's 100% mine, usually to forward the main plot). HOWEVER, the fic mostly covers new scenes and plot lines--both major and minor--that are new and not in the canonical episodes. You will not be reading a transcript of the show, I promise.

You also don't have to be familiar with the show at all to enjoy this fic (directed at my PJO fans) because I give all the necessary context in each chapter. Again, this is a self-contained fic, and written as such.

Cool! Announcements over. Enjoy!

And all the characters are owned by Julian Jones and Shine Limited.

Credits at the end.

____________________

My dear Gaius,

I turn to you for I feel lost and alone and don't know who to trust. It is every mother's fate to think her child is special, and yet I would give my life that Merlin were not so.

I know of the dangers in Uther's realm, but Cenred harbors the same beliefs and is far more ruthless. Recent events I shall not disclose have overcome any motherly desires to keep him close. Ours is a small village, and he is so clearly at odds with the people here that if he were to remain, now, with such terrors in our recent past, I fear what would become of him.

He needs a hand to hold, a voice to guide, someone that might help him find a purpose for his gifts. He has become agitated with want of late; he needs a reason for his hardships so he may endure them. I beg you, if you understand a mother's love for her son, keep him safe.

May God save you both,

Hunith

____________________

Reading the letter was all it took for a choked sob to escape that ten-week-old catch in his throat. "Recent events I shall not disclose..." Merlin knew what that meant. His mother didn't, not really, but he did.

Merlin wiped the hot tears away with his hand. "Not much longer now," he muttered to no one in particular. He tucked the letter back into his pocket. After two weeks' travel alone on foot, through dark and twisted woods, he could see the outline of Camelot's famed castle against the night sky.