First Steps: 104th Cadet Corps (1)

~Your PoV~

Meanwhile, a few days have passed since your arrival. You passed the aptitude test with ease. You have also got to know some of your comrades from the 104th.

When the time came for the first training session, everyone gathered at the training area, where Shadies began the introduction. "Listen, cadets of the 104th Cadet Corps! At the moment you are only good to be fed to the Titans to stop them for a moment! But we will teach you how to fight them! So if you don't want to end up as Titan fodder, you should learn, and learn fast! Today you'll learn to use the ODM Gear properly! If any of you dopes are feeling clumsy, pick up your gear right now and go back to the interior

As always, his words were very motivating and uplifting. The first cadets were already starting to shake at the thought of what they were about to face. It was no secret that training pushes you to your limits.

Everyone stands ready with their strapped-on ODM Gear. Shadies divides the cadets into groups so you can start one after the other to avoid getting in each other's way. Your group consisted of Thomas and Mina.

You knew both of them. Mina was a cheerful girl who often socialized with others. However, she was not an outstanding soldier. Thomas was similar. He is quite anxious despite the fact that he wanted to become a soldier himself.

"We'll manage somehow," Thomas said to Mina. She nodded nervously as you watched the first groups take off.

Jean, who was in the group before you with Armin and Daz, turned around. "You're more than welcome to watch me. Maybe you'll be able to learn something."

Meanwhile, two days have passed since your arrival. You have settled in well and got to know your new classmates.

After you have passed the aptitude test as well, you will be ready for the real training with the ODM gear.

You could see how his eyes kept darting back to you when he said that. However, you didn't pay any attention to him. It's true. He was really good at the 3D maneuver, but his bragging didn't impress you. Instead, you looked at Armin, who was holding the controllers of his ODM Gear in his hands and looking at it closely while muttering something quietly to himself.

"It's the one outside," you said to him. Hearing your voice, he flinched and looked at you.

He smiled nervously before putting the control element away again. "Ah, yes. Right... Thanks, (Y/n)."

You nodded briefly. It didn't take a genius to see how nervous Armin was. You knew he carried a smart head on his shoulders. And that he certainly knew each and every little part of the ODM Gear inside out even as he slept, and yet he was driving himself absolutely crazy.

And Daz, who was standing next to Armin, was even worse in that regard. He was muttering to himself that he was going to die while sweating an inhuman amount. He was so pale and his knees were shaking so much that one had to fear that he was about to faint.

"Don't you think that too, (Y/n)?" Jean says to you as he suddenly stood next to you. Out of the corner of your eye, you spot his cocky smile, but as soon as you turned your head to him and your eyes met, his confident expression vanished.

"What do I also think?"

"That some people just have talent that others can't even get close to with practice." Jean continues to try to appear confident, but his voice quivered slightly here and there and he couldn't look you directly in the eye.

"Yes, that may be true," you reply, "But even a person who has talent should not rest on it. Otherwise, those who may not have it will catch up faster than they can count."