Chapter 6: Woodpecker's Return

"Hey! Let go of me!" I cried.

"How are you here you've been dead for years!" The man gasped.

"What the hell are you talking about? I've never met you in my life," I gasp.

"What the hell are you talking about? Does Ganta know you're here?" He asked in a hushed whisper.

Did he say Ganta?

I crashed into him using all of my weight to pin him against the wall. It was something my father taught me. I held an arm against his throat.

"Are you speaking of Ganta Igorashi? I asked.

"Yeah who else, Shiro are you alright?" He coughed.

"My name isn't Shiro. How do you know my f- Ganta Igorashi?" I questioned.

"We were cell mates," he smirked.

My heart froze in my chest. Cell mates? Was he talking about when my dad was accused of murder? Had he actually done time?

"So if you're not Shiro then you must be his little brat Hikari," he chuckled.

"How do to know my name?" I hissed.

"Well believe it or not your father and I are friends." He smiled. "Here, my name is Yo." He offered.

I release my pressure on his neck but kept myself at ready.

"So I'm dying to know, what's your branch of sin?" He asked.

"My what?" I laughed.

"Your branch of sin." he repeated as if I was dumb.

"I'm not a deadman!" I nearly gasped.

"You must be!" He he said now fully confused.

"And why is that?" I questioned.

"Well I assumed that since both your mother and father, especially your mother, were deadmen," he explained.

My heart stopped.

"You're crazy," I breathed.

"You didn't know..." he said with wide eyes.

"Hikari!" Senji called from outside.

He opened the door and nearly fell over when seeing Yo. "What the hell are you doing here?" He cried.

"I heard that my sister got herself into more trouble." He scoffed.

"Don't you think I would have been enough protection!? Did you really have to go and get yourself arrested again?!"

Before they could finish their talk there was a commotion outside.

All of us went out of the closet to see what it was about. There was a crowd around a few guards who were dragging a prisoner out. the guards released the prisoner and everyone stepped back in fear. There was a rustle of voices all really saying a singular thought: "Is it really him?"

The man in question stood and everyone stood and backed away from him. It was the first time I had seen him. No!

"Woodpecker?!" Senji
Our eyes met and his face fell. The look of utter desperation a horror turned to a burning rage. He was pissed!

"Move!" I cried pushing Yo and Senji out of the way.

I was scared for my life. Bad things always happened when dad was this angry. He had punched holes in the wall more than I could count.

"Hikari!" He cried after me.

I looked behind me and I ran into something solid. I turned to see the guy that was chasing me earlier.

"Hey, so the little bird found her way back?" He leered.

I spit in his face again making him angry. He pushed me against a wall but had no time to do anything before something whizzed between us. I looked to the wall where a perfect red orb lay in a hole.

It was like a bullet made of blood.

"The next one won't miss asshole!" my father hissed pulling the man off of me.
The man grabbed onto my fathers arms.

"Hey old man what is a frail guy like you think you're gonna do?" he laughed.

My father chuckled darkly and grinned at the man. "Obviously you aren't up on the history of carnival corpse. If you were then you would know that a fourteen year old kid took down a lot bigger guy than you. And that was before that stupid kid learned how to use his branch of sin." He said.
I stood back mortified.

How could this man be my father? How could a deadman be my father?
"Hey woodpecker, remember who's watching." Senji said finally catching up to us.

My father shifted his eyes down to me which earned him a well prepped punch to the face. I screamed.

"Hey!" I screamed at my father as he went to hit him back. I pulled my father away from the other man and pulled him over to Senji and Yo.
"Long time no see cell mate," Yo scoffed.

"I wish we didn't have to meet back here of all places," my father sneered. After that he looked at me as if realizing that I was there for the first time.

He grabbed my arm and before I could fight him at all he pulled me into a tight hug.

"Don't you ever scare me like that again." He ordered.

"Just as long as you never hit me again. Next time I'll hit you back harder," I smirked.

He laughed, "now you sound like my daughter," he chuckled.

"So you're the old bastard that she ran away from," Senji laughed.

"Hey I'd watch throwing that 'old' word around grandpa," my father jeered.

"I guess that's fair." He smiled.
---------------

How could these bastards get away with this!? My daughter wasn't even a deadman! I know it seemed impossible with Shiro as a mother but she had never showed any signs.

As I stood with her Senji and Yo I heard that song again. Shiro's song! I shook my head. I couldn't let this place get to me. I had to be strong and protect Hikari.