Renegade

You weren’t sure how long you lay there, curled up into yourself, tears since dried. You inwardly wondered how long you could lay there before someone came and drug you out, be it human, Pillar Man, or Kars himself. A shiver ran down your spine as his parting remark filled you with dread. ‘I expect you back here tonight.’

Your eyes flew open. Tonight. He said the word ‘tonight’. For the first time since you arrived, you had a sense of time. It was daytime. This was your chance. Your body wasn’t happy with you, legs nearly giving way to gravity as you tried to stand up. The first task you decided upon was to get out of the tunic Kars had given you. You wouldn’t have accepted it, if you had a choice, given that it had come at a price; the feeling of his hands over your body still fresh in your mind. You couldn’t just show up with a different tunic and not expect someone to ask questions, it was already bad enough that you’d spent two nights away from the others. You knew that if you came clean about what was happening behind closed doors you’d be cast out. Fear dictated your lies nicely.

You found your old tunic on the floor, still covered in blood, right where Kars had dropped it. You picked it up, holding it out at arms length to look it over. Dried splotches of brown stained the fibers, the fabric rough in your hands as opposed to the softer one you had on currently. You eyed the bathroom, wondering how much time you had before someone returned to the room and if in that time you could wash your old tunic. Surely with the assistance of actual hot water it would remove the stains quicker? You mentally fought back and forth between daring to clean it in the tub or to just wear it as is. You knew should Lord Kars see you in your old tunic, especially with it being deemed filthy in his own words, he’d surely comment on it, possibly using more than his words to show his dissatisfaction. You pursed your lips, finally deciding on changing into it just until you get to your own quarters to wash it, hiding the black tunic in your bed, trying to come up with a good enough lie to cover where you’d come across such a “luxury”, even if it was now ripped on one shoulder, should someone see it. If you were going to escape this place, approaching someone outside while covered in blood didn’t seem like it would be a smart option.

You quickly scurried down the hall, ignoring the throbbing in your sore muscles, as you made it to your shared room. You entered as calmly as you could, trying not to be too disruptive as fear could turn to anger quick if you began causing a mass panic. A few people were awake, just sitting and preparing themselves for whatever tasks lie ahead. They turned to you, eyes widening as they saw both you and the blood on your garment. So much for sneaking in and hiding the other tunic; you had bigger things to focus on anyway.

“Where…” One of them began to speak, but you quickly cut them off. “I was cornered last night, thankfully one of the Pillar Men saw fit to slay the vampire before he could kill me.” You explained, which was actually the truth. “I hid in a spare room, but just now on my way back, I overheard them speaking. It’s daytime right now.” You did your best to not sound absolutely manic, but in reality, you likely did. The crazy ramblings from someone who was frightened out of their mind. One of the younger men in the group stood up, “What are you talking about?” He asked, the humans behind him glancing back and forth between the two of you. You took in a shaky breath, running a hand through your tangled hair to try and slow yourself down.

“Right now it’s daytime outside. This is our chance, they can’t go out in the sunlight. I ne- We,” You amended, “We need to escape.” Everyone exchanged glances, as if gauging one another’s opinions on your insisting. “And how do you suppose we leave? Through the front door?” One of the men on the floor chuckled, mocking you. Your brows furrowed in anger, teeth clenching for a second to keep from lashing out; if you wanted help, insulting those around you wouldn’t likely persuade them to assist. “I don’t know, but we have to try something, rip some boards off the windows to- to let in light or something; anything.” You faltered, not really having much of a plan, truth be told. The older man stood up, stepping around the younger man and standing in front of you, looking down his nose at you. “Oh, yes, I’m sure that pulling a board off a window will be the demise of The Pillar Men. Look, little girl,” He spit, clearly not a fan of you trying to cause an uprising, “I don’t think you understand what you’re asking of us. You honestly think we can possibly go up against these Pillar Men, these nearly God like beings? Please, enlighten me, how do you plan to do that? Because I assure you, it’ll take more than pulling a board off to do anything.” You swallowed hard, face burning in embarrassment as this man bent at the waist to look you in the eye. “You are nothing, we,” He gestured to himself and behind him, “are nothing. I suggest that you remember that next time you begin to get thoughts of grandeur.”