00 | Prologue

"Eddie, New York City is a shithole, you know that, right? There are rats and shit-"

    And yet here you were.

     In said shithole.

     It's not like you remembered uttering those words to Eddie, anyway. Hell, you didn't even remember Eddie.

     It was like from the second you saw the 'Leaving Derry' sign in your rearview mirror, there was a rush of air that went through your head and then- poof, gone.

     Every memory of Derry— your friends, your enemies— all dissipated from your mind, replaced by a clean slate of bliss. And maybe...

     You were better off, that way.

     ◌◌◌

     "Off," you instructed, shrugging your spouse's arms off your waist, despite the giggle that busted straight from your throat. "I have work to do, y'know," you stated, finally wriggling free of their grasp.

     Skyler Reed, or since your marriage, Skyler [L/N], sighed in defeat as they slithered away from you. You dusted off your black blazer, which was part of your work uniform. You stared at Skyler sternly.

     "I'm, sorry, okay? I just love my spouse, what do I do about that?" Skyler said, chuckling.

     You snort. "You leave me alone into 5:00 P.M.— when my shift ends."

     "I can make your shift end now, babe! I'm the CEO." You grimaced at Skyler's words. You loved everything about your spouse, but the one thing you disliked about them is how easy they wanted to make your life- how controlling they were, in a way.

     You weren't weak. You could take a goddamn challenge, even one as mundane as making it through an entire workday like your colleagues.

     A faded memory played in your mind as you waved off Skyler, and began to walk to your desk.

     ◌◌◌

     "Y-y-you need to s-s-stop doing this, you k-know," Bill said. He had his arm around your back, supporting your weight, while Eddie bandaged your arm and Beverly nursed your busted lips. You scowled.

     "H-he-" you breath hitched as a stinging pain hit your arm as Eddie applied another layer of antiseptic, "he was making fun of Richie, for-" you sealed your lips- Richie didn't need anyone to know what you'd seemed to figure out, despite the fact Richie hadn't told you. Voluntarily, at least. "He was making fun of Richie. I was protecting him."

     "You can't protect someone at your expense, [Y/N]. Eventually, you're gonna get really hurt." Eddie said, frowning. You almost could laugh, if it wasn't for the pain.

     "Eddie, you're underestimating me. I can take a goddamn challenge."

      ◌◌◌

     You felt a breath catch in your throat and choked as you...came to?

     You'd blacked out, then.

     The voices in your memories were muffled, and their faces blurred. There was something there, but...it was faded. You clenched your fist and counted to five.

     Your coping mechanism.

     You heard the ringing of a telephone; the one next to your desk. Your hands grazed over it for a moment, before you took it off the receiver and held it to ear. You had specifically requested a telephone that wasn't electrical; vintage things brought comfort to you, mostly due to nostalgia of times past.