Chapter 16

"You want me to find Luke?" I question my mother. "Alone?"

"You won't be alone. You'll have Chewie and R2."

"Yeah, but why me? He probably doesn't even remember me. I haven't seen him in what, 10, 15 years?" I ask, losing count.

"You'll be fine." She reassures me.

I consider this. Will I be fine? I mean, I don't think there will be any First Order threats along my journey, but I haven't seen my uncle since Ben turned on him and the others. But at the same time, I know he's not going to hurt me. He would never. But am I the right person for this job?

I walk to my living quarters to pack a few things up before I go. When I enter, Poe is there sitting on my bed. He looks up and smiles at my presence.

"What the General want?"

"She wants me to go find Luke." I tell him.

"By yourself?" He questions. "I'll talk to her. Maybe I can go with you."

"As much as I would love that..." I say, stepping onto my tippy toes and giving him a peck on the lips, "this is something I have to do alone."

"Why?"

"It's hard to explain. But I need answers, and I think he's the only one that can give them to me." I try to explain. "Plus, I don't know what to expect. I need to be ready for anything, and with you there, well..... you're distracting."

"In what way?" Poe's eyebrow raises as the smirk creeps onto his face.

"I think you already know the answer to that." I say giving him another kiss. "I shouldn't be gone long. Hell, it could be a fairly quick trip if he agrees to come back as soon as I get there. But just in case it takes longer than expected, take this."

I pull out a small, hand held device. He takes it and looks at it for a moment. "A homing beacon?"

"So I can always find my way back to you." I give him one last tight hug and walk out of the room.

I wanted to say good-bye to Finn and Rey before I left on my mission, even though I knew Finn wouldn't hear me. He lays in a coma in the base's medical center, still on life support. Rey hasn't left his side, at least I know I can say good bye to her.

Doctor Kalonia, the same physician who had treated Chewbacca, assured me my friend was going to be fine. But that had been a few days before, and Finn's condition remained the same.

I sat with Finn for what must've been hours. When it was time to leave, I bent over his recovery pod and hugged him. "We'll see each other again. I believe that. Thank you, my friend."

I then turn to Rey, seeing worry written all over her face. "Are you sure you'll be alright?"

"Rey, don't worry about me." I tell her, giving her a hug. "Just focus on helping Finn get better." She nods and I begin to walk towards the door. Before I exit I turn to her one last time. "Keep an eye on Poe for me, will you? He tends to act on his heart instead of his head."

She chuckles softly. "You have my word."

"Thank you." I say, smiling at her. "This isn't goodbye, just a see you later."

"See you soon." She says and we wave at each other as I leave.

I headed to the launch area with R2-D2. My mother waited near the boarding ramp. She adjusted the fit of the new flight jacket I wore. "I'm proud of what you're about to do."

I looked into her eyes and saw more than pride. "But you're also afraid. In sending me away, you're...reminded."

My mother let go of my jacket. "You won't share the fate as your brother."

I glanced at the Falcon. Chewbacca had almost completed his exterior flight check. "I know what we're doing is right," I said. "This is how it has to be. This is how it should be."

"I know it, too," she said. "May the Force be with you." She moved back and smiled as I boarded.

I took the pilot's seat, which was where Chewbacca had asked me to sit. Despite the old cushioning, I felt comfortable in it. Like I was continuing my fathers legacy.

Chewbacca scruffed up my hair and sat in the copilot's chair. R2-D2 rolled in behind us and chirped.

I refamiliarized myself with the controls, gauges, and readouts. I didn't have to worry about the compressor or priming the fuel line. Chewbacca had yanked out everything Unkar Plutt had installed.

I engaged the repulsors, lifting the freighter from the tarmac. When the engines were ready, I took a breath and launched the Millennium Falcon toward a world that had been erased from the star charts, until now.