Chapter 2. Guess Who's Coming To Dinner...Theater

I ordered our party to re-board the Argo and remain there. What is more, keeping a distance from these people was also part of the Ambassador's advice.

 Diseases. It had been a primary concern of his...and of ours, since his education of Galen, the greatest of our physicians, in the true nature of most illnesses. Yet I had myself seen the tiny forms of life by looking into the "microscope" at their round and long shapes, taken from my own mouth! So many foolish superstitions regarding sickness erased at a stroke.

  Indeed, knowledge was often as great a weapon as the sword. The "vaccination" program to halt the outbreak of plague he named "smallpox" had almost certainly saved millions of lives, both in the Empire and beyond. And no new case had been reported for over two years. This had served to aid greatly in furthering the peaceful consolidation of Rome's borders. Who would wage war against those who had saved their very lives...and offered further miracles?

  While that would work as well here, probably, there were many diseases that would be new–to both these Americans and to us Romans! Close contact had to be controlled tightly to prevent an outbreak disaster. Of course, all in the fleet had been vaccinated long ago, and we had brought several physicians who could begin such a program here too, in case this scourge existed in America, although He had said it did not. Moreover, the long voyage across the Atlantic Ocean had allowed enough time for any active contagious illness to run its course among the crews. Why we had shuffled members between ships constantly during the trip. All had arrived here healthy. But there were other diseases, unknown to us and to the natives, which might appear with any prolonged contact. Probably inevitable. But by proceeding slowly at first, the effects might be lessened, allowing some local immunities to grow and spread among the populace, and among us.

  If any mass killing was to be done here, it would be with my sword, not some invisible scourge! That was the way of the coward. Part of our Mission was to impart the knowledge of our culture, as well as the facts which Science and rational thinking had revealed. Not easily done, and still continuing even within Rome's boundaries.

  Ignorance and prejudice were tightly held by most people–since this made them more comfortable and less fearful, said Bal. Another reason he and I had "discussed" long and at times loudly his intention to bring Christianity here. His copy of his Bible, etched into a book of steel plates, as were the Encyclopedias of general knowledge give us by the Ambassador, were stored in trunks in our holds. From Him we had learned there were many beliefs held among these natives, some similar to those of Europeans, and some quite dark and violent.

As my tutor and trainer, Bal had for many years (ignoring the gap of two years after he chose to halt, then to return, which I still did not understand) familiarized me with this offshoot of Judaism. I remained open but unconvinced about this set of tenants, of "Commandments," especially the parts about "loving your enemy" and "turning the other cheek" (quite novel!) and the resurrection of the dead (nothing new to the Egyptians). Science and this religion–all of them, actually–seemed at odds. The one a verifiable structure of logic, the other being taken totally on faith!

  For me, it was enough to honor Rome's religion, by actions at least, then to bear the struggle of Life simply as a warrior, with clear goals and the means to them clearly known. My father, as Pontifex Maximus, head of the Roman church, had found the idea of total separation of this from the government difficult to accept...at first. Yet, when our expedition had left Rome, this fundamental change was well underway. Emperors would be elected by the Senate, who were elected by the people, as in the former Republic, and the Pontifex would be chosen from/by church leaders, and not from the military.