Chapter 5 - Alone

After their visit to the graveyard everyone needed time to themselves. So they said their goodbyes and drove off back to their live. They had set up a dinner date in a few weeks and promised to stay in contact.

But as Richie drove away from them all he had begun to feel worse and worse. He couldn't be alone again, couldn't resume his old life. As he reached his apartment he broke down. He quickly opened the door and went in so that no one would see him like that.

He reached for his phone wanting to call Eddie but then he stopped himself. They all just got back home and back to their life. He couldn't just go and be like 'Oh, hey, Eds! I know you just got home but you wanna come over.'

It would probably get better anyway, right?

Wrong. It had been 2 weeks and Richie couldn't sleep or eat properly. He hadn't spoken to anyone for longer than a few minutes when he was at the grocery store or something. His manager had called multiple times but Richie always made an excuse and said he was sick. He couldn't get out of bed so how would he preform?

The other's called him from time to time but he never wanted to bother them with his problems as they all had their own. He just pretended that everything was alright.

This morning he woke up from one of his nightmares again and couldn't take it. He got his sleeping pills and a bottle of whiskey. "Sorry, Stan. I'm not as strong as you." Richie sat down on the bathroom floor and downed a bunch of his pills washing them down with whiskey.

This was it he was going to die. No more nightmares. No more clowns. No more paranoia.

The one thing he had forgotten about was that Eddie wanted to come over that day and while he was sitting on the bathroom floor listening to music his visitor was knocking on the door. Richie had told him before where he had put the second key so Eddie let himself in. He had heard the music and had just assumed the other hadn't heard him.

"Richie? I let myself in." He shouted into the apartment until he noticed the other sitting on the bathroom floor a bottle of whiskey in his hand and the open container of sleeping pills laying next to him.

Panic shot through his whole body. His eyes filled with tears. "Richie! What the fuck have you done?! Throw up, right now!" He ran over to him nearly tripping.

Richie hadn't expected him to be there he had forgotten about their meeting. Before he could do anything Eddie put his head over the toilette and he threw up. After he had vomited all the pills out of his body he sat down next to the toilet again and started crying.

"I'm sorry. Please don't be mad at me Eds. I'm sorry." He just kept repeating himself until Eddie took his face into his hands.

He was shaking tears running down his cheeks as well. "What the fuck were you thinking?! Do you know what would have happened if I hadn't come around?!" He swallowed hard. "Do you know how much you would have hurt me like that?! Why didn't you tell me that you weren't okay?!"

Eddie pulled the other into a hug. "You scared me! Don't you ever do that again! I- I am so glad I came here in time!"

Richie didn't move. He felt guilty. He hadn't thought about what he would do to the others. "I'm sorry, Eds." He didn't know what he was thinking.

"Don't apologize! Just hug me back, asshole!" Eddie was mad at him. He didn't want to be because that wasn't what Richie needed right now but he had scared him. He couldn't even think about what he would do if he died.

Richie just hugged him back.

After they sat there for hours Eddie got up and helped the other up as well. "You're coming with me to my house. I'm not gonna leave you alone after this."

The other said nothing and just nodded. They went into his room and packed everything he needed. It was quiet between them uncomfortably so. The silence was crushing.

After they had gathered everything they left Richie's apartment. Eddie put his arm around him and brought him to his car. On their way there were a few journalists trying to talk to them and get photos but Eddie just yelled at them and put Richie in his car just as he had done for him.

The journalist wanted to know what has been going on with the Comidian as he just dissapeared from the earth and they were lucky enough to find out where he lived.

Eddie just ignored him as he got into his car and sped off. The other just quietly sat there looking at his hands. It worried him that the other was this quiet as he normally wouldn't stop talking.

They drove for a while in silence until Eddie couldn't take it anymore. "Please, talk to me Richie! I can't stand you being so quiet. If you don't want to talk about what happened rip on my mum or something. Just talk to me." He didn't expect an answer but to his surprise he got one.

"I'm sorry, Eds. I know I've said it a lot back in the bathroom but I really am. I didn't want to call you or something because I didn't want to bother you. I'm sorry."-

"You don't need to apo-"

"Yes I do. I should have confined in you instead of bottling everything up until I couldn't take it anymore." Richie took a moment until he continued. "I'm not okay and I don't want to be alone again. I can't be alone anymore."

Eddie gave him a small smile. He was still shaken up from anything but right now Richie was all that mattered. "That's why you will stay at my place as long as you need. You're stuck with me now. If you like ot or not."

The other laughed a bit. "Oh lord how did I deserve this!" He paused for a second. "But for real, do you think your wife's gonna be okay with this?"

"She has to." Eddie decided to not tell him about his plans to divorce her. He hadn't had the courage to do it yet anyway. "If not she has to leave. It's my house."

Richie felt weirdly touched by this. That the other would put his marriage on the line for him felt reassuring. He knew he shouldn't get his hopes up over nothing but he did.