Chapter 5 - Dylan

This is a SAMPLE only.

MAY 2022 UPDATE: Go read "Lucy", a spinoff of the Masked SheWolf trilogy, now updating on Wattpad, and its "Behind the Scenes" companion book that includes character profiles and a complete recap of the trilogy, as told by the characters in interview format.

***

It's a freaking uprising when Altus finish their second cover, a song by the same band they covered earlier. With so much screaming and jumping, you would think we were at a Linkin Park concert or something, instead of watching an amateur college band.

My shock at seeing John performing again was quickly replaced by my annoyance at the crowd's extreme reaction. I mean, the performances were really good, obviously, but I have always found this sort of reaction to be ridiculous and extreme.

I turn to Kevin. "Let's go."

He doesn't need to be told twice, and he immediately starts guiding me to the exit. I think he enjoys the band's music, but he is just as aggravated by the audience's response.

We don't get too far before someone grabs his arm. I can tell by the way his jaw sets that Kevin is about to glare at whoever put his hand on him. I noticed once that he doesn't like strangers to touch him. But when he gets a good look at the girl, his face morphs into a soft look that doesn't seem to belong with his character.

"You're not leaving, are you?" the girl asks.

It's the same girl who was nice to me when I rudely told her to move moments ago. I didn't notice at the time, but she is very pretty, in a most-popular-girl-in-school kind of way. She's got a small oval face, blue eyes and blonde hair. Her features seem almost doll-like, though softer. Thank God she's not dressed like a Barbie, at least.

I suppress my habit of assuming that just because she is beautiful in a girly kind of way, it means something bad about her character. I am trying not to be judgmental anymore, since it has failed me many times recently. Logan, Zoey, Jason, Reena... I misjudged them all. I don't want to do that anymore. This girl seems nice enough.

"Uh, yeah," Kevin warily replies. "Sorry, Claire. I have to help Dylan unpack. He's my new roommate. He's starting this year. He's a freshman. He's also my cousin. That's why I have to leave."

My left eyebrow shoots up, and I grin, but I don't say a word. His reaction to this Claire girl is hilarious, like a schoolboy with a crush on the prettiest girl in class.

I'm happy at the ease in which he's introducing me as a boy. It reassures me that he is capable of keeping my secret. At the moment, I'm dressed in a way that doesn't reveal my gender. My hair has almost grown down to my nose, but I styled it in a gender-neutral kind of way, keeping it smoothed to one side with the split toward the right side of my head. I'm wearing a chest binder and going for an androgynous tomboy look to create confusion as to what my gender is. With this look, I could pass for either a girl or a boy, and only when addressed directly will I tell people I'm a boy.

"That's too bad," Claire says in a tone of genuine regret. "Well, I guess I'll see you around in class."

"Yeah, sure, see you," he agrees.

She smiles at him, and he timidly returns it. Then she glances at me, nods in recognition and says, "It's nice to meet you, Dylan."

"You too," I tell her.

After she walks away, I stay rooted in place for a moment, smirking at Kevin as he stares after her. Then he notices snaps back to attention, and throws me a skeptical glance.