Ch 23: Family

Is that Misha? Why does he look so sad? Is he crying? I smile. "I've only seen you cry when we watched the Lion King." Can he hear me? My voice feels distant and hazy like it's somebody else's voice. Like an astral projection. On another plane. I wish Misha could hear me, I think. I want to tell him a strand of his hair is in his eyes. I want to push it away but I can't move. Am I floating?

Misha leans in. "Conrad?" He's sobbing. My smile widens. I try to make a lame joke, something  from the Princess Bride. He smiles. Then he starts laughing. It's almost hysterical. The laughter quickly turns into more tears. I frown. I didn't mean to make him upset. Was my joke that bad? I don't have time to think. He kisses me. 

A soft, chaste, caressing kiss. Even when he's not quite kissing me, his lips linger on mine. They stay there, a comforting pressure. I want to kiss him back but it's hard to move. His lips finally leave mine and there's something in his eyes I can't discern. I smile again. 

"Remember that evening in Central Park?" I said. He looked confused. I continued. "I dunno man. I still think angels are like actually alphas or something. Probably real beefy boys under those gowns."

Misha smiled. There was amusement dancing around in his eyes. Another kiss. I wanted to keep telling him the story. I wanted to make him laugh again. But the darkness started to creep it's way in. I heard one last thing as sleep pulled me back into its confines. 

"I'm sorry, Solnishko. I'm sorry for everything."

-8-

The lights are seering and painful at first. They finally come into focus after a few quick blinks. My skin was cold but I felt warmth in my hand. A bleary glance over and there I saw a hand wrapped tightly around mine. Our fingers were intertwined. Before me was Joe.

He was smiling and sitting in the chair pushed right up to the side of my bed. His hold on my hand tightened as we made eye contact. I stared at him with a hesitant and nervous look I'm sure was evident on face. 

"Morning sweetheart." His voice had a playful tone with a gentle rumble underneath. Exhausted lines emphasized his eyes. Some distant part of me screamed to push away the hand wrapped so perfectly and protectively around mine. The touch was enchanting however. I couldn't pull away. I'd blame it on the pain meds later. 

"Morning," my voice, distant and raspy replied. My eyes trailed to the rest of the room. My heartbeat sped up at the sight of Ross, Misha, and Hans. Misha, his hair a raggedy mess and his eyes a cloudy fog was leaning his tired head against Ross's chest. They sat quietly in another set of chairs and Ross whispered into Misha's year. In the seat next to him, Ross kept a tight hold around Hans while the omega stared quietly off into the distance. The raven-haired alpha seemed exhausted himself. 

This was everything they were doing before I spoke. As soon as the greeting left my mouth, all pairs of eyes were laser-focused on me. Hans was the first to jump up and came to my other side.

"Are-are you feeling alright? I-we-we saw the bruises and-"

"Hans." Came Ross's commanding voice. The alpha and beta also stood up. Misha smiled at me. Ross sent a disapproving look Hans' way leaving the omega to pull his head down in submission. Before he moved away I grabbed his hand with my free one. It was only a half-conscience move but I didn't want him to step away. 

I smiled as my eyes found the omega's gray-blue orbs filled with worry and anxiety. I'd have to teach Ross about talking to skittish omegas properly. 

"No. It's ok. I'm fine, kiddo. Survived hell didn't I?" As I said this, I made an attempt to casually pull my hold away from Joe's. That was an exercise in futility. Joe's hold tightened as he caught my eyes once again. He smirked when I blushed.