chapter 1

Naib Subedar was your typical high school bully magnet. He had anxiety and kept to himself, and he didn't like to fight back. The bullies liked to prey on beings like Naib, easy to target and they could get away easily. Sometimes Naib didn't want to go to school because of this, but he ends up going anyway, not wanting to worry his dear friend, Eli Clark. Naib was able to go through the day only with Eli by his side.

"Naib! Over here." Eli waved Naib over, a more well-built man beside the brunette. Naib recognized him as William, one of the players on the school football team. Well, Naib recognized him mainly because he was his crush Norton's close friend. Apparently, he was Eli's friend as well. Naib locked eyes with William and gave him a small wave, but William didn't respond and looked away silently. Naib averted his gaze, his eyes boring holes in the ground as the three males walked into the school grounds.

The day went on, as usual, Naib heading to different classrooms from Eli since he was... smarter. He spent the periods before lunch just watching the hands of the clock turn, every minute filling him with dread until finally, it was lunch break. At the signal of the bell, the students filed out of the class, forming their flocks and packs. Naib waited for everyone to disperse before making his way to the dining hall silently.

Naib slid through the crowd, making his way to Eli's table with a small carton of milk in his hands. Eli made small talk with Naib, trying to ease his growing anxiety but Naib was shaking as he took a sip out of the carton of milk. Eli excused himself and it was just him and William. There was an awkward silence between the two as Naib prayed for Eli to come back quickly. The tension was suffocating him as he began to fidget with his drink.

"I'm just gonna be frank with you; I personally don't like you," William broke the silence. Naib's breathing hitched and he didn't look up to face the tan male, but Naib could feel him staring. "I don't know what he sees in you... Anyway, whatever I do is for Clark's sake, so nothing personal... I guess." Naib looked up at last and saw William shrug, the two of them watching Eli make his way back to the table. The tension finally lightened but the words William said struck Naib immensely.

What he sees in me?