chapter 5

It took all of Harry's resolve to ignore the badges. Then, during the next Potions lesson, there were three of the badges on the wall, all enlarged. Every thirty seconds, the messages changed. Most of the Slytherins spent the lesson laughing at him with Snape making jibes on top. "Say something about it." Terry Boot said, after the lesson had finished. "I'm a half-blood – it seems here that purebloods rule the roost." Harry said. It was the lunch break and most of the students were in the Great Hall. Malfoy had a large group with him. "A chance to win some money. All you have to do is guess how long it will take Potter to die in the first task and the pot is yours." Malfoy said. As Harry ate his dinner, a blonde hair Slytherin girl walked up to him. "I'm Daphne Greengrass," she said to him. Harry could see she was not wearing the badge, "You should be careful during the Hogsmeade trip and during the first task. Malfoy was bragging to some of his followers that his father was going to arrange a little something for you." "Thank you, but how come you don't support him?" Harry said. "My family, despite being in Slytherin, don't buy into this pureblood rubbish. We're neutral but I decided you should be warned." She answered before leaving.

That same day, at Sydney, Headmistress Helen Daniels was addressing her staff and students. "No doubt you will have heard that Harry Potter was entered into the Triwizard Tournament," she said, "the ICW has ruled that he will be representing our school, but it means I will have to participate as a judge. Professor Martin will be in charge in my absence. I promise you, Harry Potter will return. I have it on good authority that he wants to return. If anyone wishes to send him mail, send it to Mrs. Sarah Falk and she will ensure he receives it."

Harry wrote a letter and sent it off via Hedwig after placing some charms on it. It was to prevent the Ministry looking at it. Later that day, McGonagall went up to Harry in the Great Hall (it was the evening meal).

"The Headmaster has requested your presence in his office." She said. Harry and the Deputy Headmistress went to Dumbledore's office to find not only the headmaster but the Australian Ambassador. "Evening Ambassador Ramsey." Harry said, shaking his hand. "Evening Mr. Potter." The Ambassador said. "Now everyone is here, can you tell me what this meeting is about?" Dumbledore asked. "It has something to do with this letter I received today from Mr. Potter. Can you tell the full story please? Harry explained everything he had seen, heard or been told about Malfoy's gambling syndicate plus what Daphne Greengrass had told him. "That is very serious Mr. Potter. In light of this, I think you should not go to Hogsmeade." Dumbledore said. "Are you serious Professor," Harry said in surprise, "The First Task is in Hogsmeade, how am I going to learn about the village for the task if I can't go. It will give the others a very unfair advantage." "Never the less, it is unsafe for you to go there." Dumbledore said. "Headmaster, if I may interrupt," the Ambassador said, "Mr. Potter is right – this would give the other contestants an unfair advantage and you were insistent on him participating in this tournament. But, we take our citizens' safety seriously and for the Hogsmeade visits, he will have two Australian Aurors keeping an eye on him and rest assured, we will find out if there is a plot to kill him and will bring down the full weight of the law against them. Mr and Mrs. Falk, who are Mr. Potter's legal guardians, have signed a permission slip for him to visit Hogsmeade and I see no reason why he can't go." Dumbledore knew he was beaten. "Is there anything else you wish to bring up, Harry?" he asked. "Yes – the badges created by Draco Malfoy." Harry answered. "Mr. Malfoy is only exercising his right to an opinion and encouraging fellow students to say the same." Dumbledore answered. "The main statement on there is wrong for the start – Cedric Diggory is the ONLY Hogwarts champion and you're right, Malfoy is entitled to an opinion. There would be nothing wrong with students wearing badges proclaiming support for Viktor Krum or Fleur Delcaour or myself along with Cedric but the other messages on them is the issue. POTTER STINKS, POTTER IS A CHEAT AND A LIAR and POTTER IS A DEAD MAN. That is NOT an opinion. The first two can be classed as libel and if things like that appeared in your newspaper, I would have full grounds to sue them. The third one can be classed as a death threat, which in Australia is taken VERY seriously," Harry said, "Seeing students wear these is bad enough, but seeing enlarged versions on the walls of Snape's Potions class, flashing the messages, especially the Potter is a Dead Man one frequently is totally unacceptable." "If you do not have these badges taken away by tomorrow morning Headmaster," the Ambassador said, "I will personally arrange for Mr. Potter to be withdrawn from Hogwarts and be given lessons with either the Beauxbatons or Durmstrang students." "I'm sure it won't have to come to that." Dumbledore said. "I have a solution that is fair to everyone," Harry said, "I do not wish to be taught by Severus Snape any longer, so Ambassador, if you could arrange Potions lessons with the Beauxbatons students, please, I would be grateful. Failing that, I have a few friends who can give me a bit of tuition, but most of the potions we're learning about we learnt at Sydney last year."