CHAPTER 16

"People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." — Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

THIRD POV:

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore (Order of Merlin, first class, Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards, and Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot).

Even Albus knew he stretched himself thin.

But sacrifices had to be made, with Voldemort only fearing him.

Dumbledore had thought that maybe if he was everywhere that Voldemort would be hesitant to outright attack.

He was right, but also so wrong.

Things at first were in his favor, until it wasn't.

And yet— It had even worsened .

With the magical world partially protected, it left the muggle world open for attacks.

Dumbledore had stretched himself so thin he couldn't lend a hand and he felt guilty.

It was what made him so pro-muggleborns at times. Guilt ate away at him. If he couldn't protect muggles then muggleborns were on his "to help" list.

He wanted to pay for his failures.

To others it may not seem deep but to Albus, these failures ran deep.

It all started with his one time lover and the ambitious plan he and Gellert Grindelwald blindly found themselves enraptured in, both had grown to become obsessed with the powerful objects of the Deathly Hallows.

As the plans became more and more far-fetched. Albus's younger brother, Aberforth, intervened and pointed out the impossibilities of the scheme.

Gellert quickly became enraged and the three began to Duel. Ariana Dumbledore was killed in the process.

It broke Albus's heart (as well as his nose), killing his sister was the last straw and Albus had broken his friendship with Grindelwald.

Grindelwald was forced to flee and create an army in attempt for wizarding domination.

After he had tracked down the Elder wand Grindelwald became one of the most powerful Dark wizards in history and was a serious threat to the wizarding world.

As Grindelwald gained power, public opinion grew that Albus Dumbledore would be the only one able to stop him. Dumbledore, still haunted by his history with the dark wizard, procrastinated.

Unbenknowst to most, Dumbledore was actually unable to confront Grindelwald directly: in their youth, the two wizards had sworn a blood pact, sealed in magic, not to fight each other.

The vial that had sealed the pact was kept by Grindelwald for years until it was stolen in 1927 by Newton Scamander.

Dumbledore believed that it might be possible for him to destroy the blood pact when it was given to him by Newt, but seemed unsure on whether he would succeed.

Then one of the greatest duel took place and Dumbledore came out the victor.

And Gellert Grindelwald was captured and detained in the top-most cell of Nurmengard, a prison that he himself had constructed to hold his enemies.

And for a while the wizarding world was at peace, but a few years later another Dark wizard grew into power.

Dumbledore worried it would be another Gellert Grindelwald but it wasn't, it was worse.

Everyone was in danger; muggles, muggleborns, mudbloods, blood-traitors, half-bloods, and even his darling purebloods.

In Voldemort's youth, Albus hadn't paid much attention to the poor orphan Tom Riddle until he made his Slytherin heritage public.

Albus got increasingly worried and quietly watched.

Dumbledore watched from afar as the young boy grew and flourished under the dark prelude of the more pureblood supremacists of the Slytherin bunch.

He watch little Tom Riddle struggle, cry, and scream in frustration as he got bullied. Treated like trash for his lack of magical parents, for being poor, and for being weak.

But jokes on them, Tom Riddle took their words as a challenge for power.

He grew stronger.

Powerful.

Brilliant.

Manipulative.

And dangerous.

Dumbledore had no choice to watch as Tom Riddle was promoted from prefect to Head Boy, his disagreement fell to deaf ears when Headmaster Dippet ignored his warning in favor of charming Riddle's favor.

And when a basilisk was set loose and the death of Myrtle Warren happened Dumbledore grew suspicious. When it was announced that Hagrid a loving half giant got blamed and accused for the incident.

Deputy Headmaster Dumbledore utterly disagreed but Headmaster Dippet who was completely charmed by young Tom Riddle took Riddle's word over Dumbledore's.

The brilliant Valedictorian Tom Riddle gave his graduation speech, sounding ever so "heartwarming".

Dumbledore watched blankly as the handsome manipulative young man was immediately surrounded by his fans... his followers.

A few years later, Tom Riddle asked to become the Defense Against Dark Arts Professor but Dumbledore was far to concern with Riddle's growing addicted to the Dark Arts.

And Riddle wasn't hired. It was a mistake on his part. Dumbledore mourned.

He was so sure there was a curse on DADA, he tried to track down the curse but he was sure it was concealed under a powerful ward or charm.

Fast forward many years and he was suddenly invited to have an important meeting with Lord Black, of all people.

Lord Black was nothing like he was before, he had changed along with Abraxas.

The answer to his change came in the form of Walburga Black, but something about her magic felt different...colder even.

And his wand, the Elder wand, reacted towards her violently as if trying to reunite with her.

Which made no sense since he was the rightful owner.

As they made plans, Dumbledore left with a heavy heart.

Dumbledore had a gut feeling that war was on the horizon.

And wasn't going to be pretty.