FIFTEEN

Eli leaned against the carved oak booth bringing her glass up to block the twitch at her mouth. The scotch in the glass reflecting the large chandeliers in a gleam of gold and red. More then eighty years since it opened The Golden Age night club has kept its reputation. High-end burlesque with just a hint of the old-city underground.

Eli runs her finger along the ridge of her scotch before taking another sip, finishing the glass. She had arrived early to ensure a seat at the back of the club. This was Tess's preferred seat. The booth velvet red, large and wide, with an unobstructed view of the pair of dancers performing in black lace.

"Would you like another?"

"If you're offering," She leans into the booth, keeping her finger moving on the glass. The high table was one of the few raised over the bar, easily watched by waitstaff to ensure each glass was full at all times. She raises her chin to take in the full sight, Tess.

Eli waved a hand at the empty booth across from her, offering an invitation. The nightclub owner tilts her head before stepping into the booth, a hand at the centre of her blazer pulling the button loose. The white material shining like a beacon in all the dim light and dark velvets.

"I only stopped in for a drink. I know how enchanting the entertainment can be."

"Ah, yes. A wonderful night for dining, dancing and debauchery." Tess whispered with a heavy sigh, behind the rim of her martini. She grins before baring her sharp teeth under red lips. The waitress comes by with our drinks. Identical glasses of scotch, two fingers, and a single ice-cube.

Tess sat back in the booth, the white of her outfit pulling the attention of everyone around them. Most of the high-paying clientele came to drink up on the platforms, so they could watch the stage with a great few and bottle service. Tess looked at Eli, really looked at her, tapping those emerald-tipped nails on the arm of the booth.

"You look tired," Tess saw, more an accusation than sympathy. "I take responsibility for that. I should have never answered your phone call. I don't like upsetting one of my girls."

"I'm not one of you girls." Tess makes a tsk sound with her tongue between her teeth. She leaned closer, pushing both glasses of scotch towards Eli. She takes a slow, considering drink from one of the glasses before finishing off the one.

One of the patrons behind Tess's shoulder leans against the table before pulling his face up abruptly. Drugs were easy to get here if you had the right amount of cash and the right amount of knowledge. Money changed hands quickly, secret flowed line wine and The Golden Age was untouchable.

Tess had secured a line of credit with the right people about eight years ago, after sidestepping a drug bust a year earlier. Since then she's been a silken swirl of quick fingers and a brilliant businesswoman who uses any form of currency, dealers choice. That's how Eli met her, and how she inevitable met and fell into life under the line of blue-collar.

"You're always one of my girls. Now, tell me what you want."

"I need two tickets to Lucious's next match. I'll pay whatever you ask." An emerald-tipped finger is pulled along the rim of Tess's glass. She doesn't pause or stop.

Tess must have been expecting it. Eli rolls back in her seat, the smile she gave the detective finds it's way back onto her face. She watches Tess finish her martini before pushing a hand under the sleeve of her jacket. The bracelet winking at her.

Tess pulls out two tickets, floor level if the colour was any indication.

"What are you thinking, Elizabeth?" She says evenly. Around the room, the dancers twirled and bowed. Twinkling under the chandeliers and glowing in the dim light.

"He showed up at my apartment. Lucius showed up the day before on his orders. I'd like to repay a favour." The same waiter comes by to collect the empty glasses from the table, wiping the rings of condensation as he does, just as the music changes to a light tone of glitter and skin.

A woman trapped in a blue sash twirls onto the stage, winking a jelled eye at a man sitting along the edge of the wood stage.

"Why two? Who else are you bringing?"

"Nat. She's a fan." Eli pulls her eyes from the almost naked woman to give Tess a wink of her own. Tess glanced over her shoulder before shaking her head.

"You are a horrible liar, dear." Tess leans forward, all patients, as her face gets close to Eli's.

"Alright. He was looking for something and I think I figured out what it was. I'm going to use it. As for my date, I'm being watched by the police and I need somewhere to meet out of the general public eye."

"Is my club not private enough?" Tess pushes out her lip before biting into it lightly. "I could keep an eye on you here."

"Which is exactly why I'm going to the match, how much Tess?"

"For you? Five hundred." She decided. Eli didn't fight it, pulling money from her the pocket of her cocktail dress. Stretching she reaches forward, her hand pulling lightly at the ends of Tess's fingers slipping the large bills into her hand. Eli switches the money for the tickets. Simple and quick.

She throws back the rest of the scotch, feeling the burn run down her throat and sink into her stomach. The drink calms something in Eli that had been rocking back and forth since this morning with Tanner.

Tess's eyes held a mischievous glint in their eye as she stands with Eli. Both women, a combination of both sides of the Golden Age. Tess in her angel white and Eli in her sinner greys.