Chapter Sixteen

Ana threw the quilt and bolted out of the bed and ran towards the far, dim corner of the room. The sun's rays were slowly creeping in. Her only chance of escape was already nonexistent as glaring sunlight beamed towards the door. She witnessed the light slowly inching its way to her as she pressed herself to the wall as if there was still room left for her to go at her back. She crouched low, cowered before her killer, her heart raced and pounded that she could almost hear every beating of her pulse. Sweat formed on her forehead, her eyes widened with fear for she knew without a doubt she would die. The light was a couple of meters away from her, but it was getting closer... and closer...

She knew she would die. But before she would perish, she wanted to see him. Even for the last time... And so, she shouted the name both her heart and mind were yearnings to be with her at the very last minutes of her life.

"IVAN!"

Two things happened. It was as if a miracle had allowed Ivan to burst open the door and stormed right inside the room and yanked the curtains close, while Lucya teleported before Ana and threw her arms around, protecting the princess from the sun. But it was already too late. Before Lucya was able to teleport the both of them, a streak of light already touched her eyes rendering her blind.

Ana felt dizzy as if she was in a floating boat. Then a second later, she felt something pull her out of it. She felt she landed on a soft surface. She knew she was sitting on a bed. On who's bed, she wasn't sure. She was now blind.

"I can't see!" she cried as she struggled out of the bed. "I can't see anything!"

A pair of hands pushed her softly back to the bed. "Princess, it is I, Lucya, and you are in my room. You are safe here. Please be still while Erien tries to clean your wound. You are beginning your transition."

"I can't see anything!" she repeated.

"Calm down, princess." She knew it was Erien. She felt someone pushing her back to lie down on the bed. Then she felt someone pour water on her foot, relieving it of the burning pain. She could only guess who was cleaning her burns. She could not see anything! When the light had touched her eyes before she was teleported by Lucya, she saw white light flash across her sight before total darkness consumed her vision.

"Why can't I see anything!" she wailed.

"Princess, please. Let Erien tend to your burn first." The voice came from Lucya. "The sun had momentarily blinded you. But your sight will be back in a few hours... or days."

"Days!" She will be blind for days?

Ana heard someone banging on the door. A moment later, she heard a clicking sound, and then heavy footsteps followed. "Where is she?" It was Ivan's booming voice. She felt strong hands grasp her fingers. "Anastasia," he said. His voice had somehow eased her fear. "How are you?"

"I'm blind, Ivan," she answered. "I can't see anything! And—and my foot hurts." She wanted to cry like a little kid, but she needed to suck it up and stop whining. She felt helpless this way. She didn't want to be helpless. She wasn't used to feeling helpless. She was used to fending for herself. No family, no relatives. It was only her and her fellow orphans. And that was how she survived alone in the human world—by not being helpless. Having this kind of feeling was new to her, and it was tantamount to fear. But having Ivan near her was making her feel she was not alone, and she would never be alone, and there was nothing to fear. It was strange—she never needed anyone in her life. But fate had decided to thrust her family and Ivan into her hands. And now, since she was starting her transition, she realized she needed her family... she needed Ivan while she underwent all through her changes.

She firmly clasped Ivan's hands and choked back a sob. "Don't leave me." I'm scared... She wanted to say, but she couldn't. She wouldn't admit she was afraid. It was already explained to her what would happen during her transition, but she never expected it to be this painful, to be this frightening.