Chapter Sixteen - Battle of Earth: The Price Is Paid

To all you wonderful readers I am glad you are still with this series, I appreciate all the votes, reads and comments.

Stay safe and read on and (in advance) I'm so sorry.

**********

Soul Realm

Maria had no idea what had happened.

A very familiar reddish, orange haze surrounded the young Stark and she stood within a thin layer of water. With a frown firmly in place, Maria began to study herself. Looking down she found herself in her skinny jeans and trainers with her green checkered shirt on top - the same outfit she had worn five years ago back in Wakanda. Maria's memory was fuzzy but she knew where she was. The Soul Realm.

But the question was: why was she there?

Maria took a moment to centre herself as she tried to wrap her head around what was going on. Maria remembered the war in 2018, she remembered entering the Soul Realm for five years (though that time could have been inaccurate since the Realm was outside of time) and then she had returned to earth to fight the last battle against Thanos. However, the details were fuzzy and Maria couldn't recall what had happened for her to end up in the Soul Realm ... again.

Last time she was there it was because she had died. Had she died again? Suddenly a new voice pulled Maria from her thoughts. Someone else was in the Realm, someone whose voice she recognised.

"Maria?"

Spinning around, causing the thin layer of water upon the floor to splash around her, Maria was shocked to find none other than her father before her. He was dressed as casually as she was. But why on earth was her father in the Soul Realm? Taking a few steps forward towards him Maria went to ask the question only for her memories to finally catch up with her and allow Maria to remember what had happened.

Her father had knelt before her with the Infinity Stones on his hand. He had snapped his fingers. He had taken her place. And Maria knew no human could survive that.

"No" Maria whispered, the word full of pain and sorrow as she began shaking her head, denying what was in front of her. "No, no." Tears immediately began to form in her eyes, blurring her view of her father. Maria knew the truth she knew this place and those who resided in it. "If your ... you ... no. It wasn't supposed to happen like this. It can't!" The young Stark trembled under the truth, shaking her head vigorously.

Maria didn't want to believe it. His presence in the Soul Realm meant only one thing. Her father's soul was being claimed by the Soul Stone, her father was dead.

"Maria..." Tony mumbled in equal sorrow. He never wanted to see his daughter like this. Rushing forward, the older man pulled Maria into his chest where Maria buried her head and wept.

"Please no ... please, please, p-please no ..." Maria's heartbroken words were muffled against Tony's hoodie but he heard them all the same. He could feel his daughter shaking as the tears and sobs tore from her body.

"I'm sorry, I had to. I had to pumpkin" Tony said as he held Maria tightly and leaned his head against hers. He wished he could protect her from everything, he wished he could shield her from the cruel reality of the world but he couldn't, he couldn't save her from this pain he had caused. But it was better she was alive and grieving instead of her being dead at his feet.

"No ..." Maria's arms wrapped around her father and clung onto him, her seemingly small fists clutching at his clothing. Tony stroked Maria's hair as he allowed her to cry and cling to him. She seemed so small, so fragile in that moment.