Chapter 1: Denial

art by:@mkraiyux on twitter

Warnings before reading the story:

If you are uncomfortable with any of the following, please do not read.

⚠️⚠️⚠️
•Alcohol
•Drug Usage
•Kidnapping
•Cursing
•Anxiety/Depression
•Grief
•Blood
•Abusive Themes
⚠️⚠️⚠️

*Edit to clarify that there is NO NSFW/SMUT or any kind of sexual assault in this book despite the mention of roofies and related drugs.*

This story is purely fiction and made for the fun of imagination.

If you're ready to continue:

Italicized letters mean thinking or thoughts.

denial (noun): the action of declaring something to be untrue.

•Zak•

"Am I dead?" I wondered out loud, staring into what seemed to be the morning sun peeking in through curtains. I coughed, finding my throat dry and voice hoarse. I couldn't remember what happened beyond going to a party with my friends last night. Vincent has just gotten his visa accepted into the United States, so we were out celebrating.

Looking around the bedroom I was in, I noticed it was unfamiliar. I pressed a hand to my head, rubbing intensely to try and reduce the headache I had.

The last thing I remember was Darryl and Vincent telling me a story. I was drinking a soda, and I started feeling really sick. Dizzy. And then everything was black.

The bedroom door jiggled and a figure stepped in. "Oh, you're awake."

"Darryl?" I croaked, sitting up in the bed. He must have taken me home last night.

"You were pretty drunk at the party, so I brought you here to keep you out of harm," he smiled.

I raised an eyebrow at him. "I never drank any alcohol at that party, though."

His smile faltered. "Oh? You seemed drunk. Maybe you got roofied?" His tone seemed more concerned.

I nodded in reply. "But who would roofie me?"

Darryl shrugged and started to turn around to head back out of the room. "Let me go get you some water."

I took this moment to look around. The bedroom was very tidy and neat. Everything had a proper placement. The organization really seemed to suit Darryl.

Except for the excess amount of rope on his desk.

Before I could get up to investigate, Darryl returned with the water and a bright smile. "Here you go, muffin."

I smiled and thanked him, gladly taking a large swig of the water. When my throat felt normal again, I pointed to the rope. "What's that for, dude," I laughed, "Planning to kidnap someone?"

Darryl laughed too, but it sounded forced. It was off-putting. I shook the thought, betting he was just annoyed at my presence since he probably had to watch over me all night.

"Do you want anything to eat?" Darryl asked, breaking me from my trance.

"No, that's okay. I'll get out of your hair now," I said, standing up to stretch. His eyes followed my body, running across my arms to my chest before he looked me in the eyes again, face flushed a bit.

And then all of a sudden, he looked really nervous. "Wait, what? No, no, I insist! Let me make you some pancakes or something."

My eyebrows raised as I considered the option. "Okay! Sure," I giggled.