Chapter 3: Bargaining

bargain (verb): negotiate the terms and conditions of a transaction.

•Zak•

"If only I hadn't taken that soda from Darryl at the party, I wouldn't have been roofied. I wouldn't be here right now."

Darryl came back into the room later, and I was really too tired to be angry with him anymore.

And a piece of me missed his company, but I didn't want to admit it.

"Hello, Zak," he mumbled hesitantly.

"Hi," I replied, blank-faced. He grew a tiny smile despite my response being bleak.

My eyes traveled down and away from his face to his torso. He held a plate of sandwich halves in his hand.

My stomach growled.

Noticing my staring, and near-drooling expression, he giggled.

I felt the butterflies again. The sound of his laughter used to make my heart warm, and for a small moment I fell back into those happy memories. I pushed away the feeling, too focused on the potential of a meal.

"I brought food for you since you haven't eaten recently," he said, stepping towards me and placing the plate on my lap. He made a face of confusion, probably realizing he would have to feed me himself.

He picked up a sandwich and held it up to my face.

As degrading as it was, I was practically starving. I leaned forward and took a bite, keeping my eyes focused on Darryl's face in a cautionary manner.

He blushed and looked away. I could only imagine how awkward he must feel to be doing this.

I finished the first sandwich half and stared at him expectantly.

"Oh my goodness, that was fast," he laughed and picked up another.

And another.

Until the whole plate was empty.

"D-do you have any water?" I asked, voice quivering slightly. I cursed myself in my head for showing weakness.

He nodded and picked up a bottle next to me I hadn't noticed before to let me have a few sips of it.

When I was done, he set the water down and moved the plate away before walking behind my chair and towards the back wall.

Goosebumps rose against my neck as I listened close to where he was and what he was doing.

Something from the back began dragging across the ground, making me nervous, but when it got close enough to see I realized it was just another chair.

Darryl put it right beside me and sat down, leaning further into my space bubble. "Do you wanna watch a movie or something?"

I furrowed my brows. "How long are you planning to keep me here?" I asked, ignoring his initial question. His bright eyes went dull and he looked like he was in a trance.

Before he could answer, I felt a feeling in my gut that I hadn't thought of using to my advantage until now.

"Darryl," I began softly, "I really have to use the restroom."