six.

06 x how's the family?

----

—————

Parents, Sam thought, were very focused and ready. Ethan and Sandra. Brothers, Ty and Dre. Sister, Kiki.

Her family was what Tia lived for and what Sam had once waited to escape. His parents were, easily put, overbearing. Medical school was never his forte and besides, what was more efficient and prideful than serving the nation? Yet, they supported him, loved him and made sure he was alright. But then again, they were the worst kind of brutal. 

That was what he was thinking as he pulled into the Bright estate. On each side of the road in the Pullman district in Chicago, every house was separated by yards large enough to rear animals in. Sam had grown up in Harlem, the toughest neighbourhood out there so this change of scene was a bit unsettling. He could understand the situation with seven members in the family but some of the houses looked like they were home to nuclear families. To every dwelling in the neighbourhood, there were more sports cars than people and it was a little off-putting. 

As soon as Sam killed the lights and the engine, he watched Tia leap out of the car faster than light speed itself and race for the tall man, her older brother he quickly realized, that came for her just as fast. Loud laughter poured out of them as they collapsed into each other, Tia being lifted in the air and whirled around in Dre's giant arms.

"Oh, baby sis," Andre Bright groaned into her shoulder which morphed into excited laughter, rubbing her back warmly. "I missed you."

Sam found himself following suit and shutting the car door loudly to attract attention. Dre's dark eyes shot up to his stance and Sam felt the need to raise his hands in surrender as if being held a gunpoint. He swallowed largely.

Andre Bright looked like the household champion, the one who would get the full whack instead of leniency. Stern, overprotective and fiercely loyal with his hardened features and broad shoulders could take a hit. He was all business given his outlay for the night⁠—a three-piece black suit and a Bluetooth headpiece fit between his ear. Sam saw Dre's hold on Tia tighten an inch when he stepped onto the lawn.

"Sam Wilson," he introduced formally, sauntering forward swiftly to close the distance between them. His mouth felt like he had consumed chalk, dry and dusty.  

"Dre, be nice," Tia warned as she backed away to entangle her fingers with his. "He's very gentle."

Sam flashed his eyes at her mischievous ones, glaring. I am literally Captain America, woman.