41. #Free, January 2019

I fell. I fell. I shouldn't have fallen on the 3S. The white light made Daya dizzy. 

Pavel breathed heavily, his powerful heart racing. Thank gods for the muscle memory—the twelve eager muscles remembered how to put a smile on her face. 

But the rest was sublime!

"We did it?" she asked Pavel and curtsied to the judges' side. "Do you think we did it?"

"Yes. Look there... your cowboy." He spun her again, without the added flare this time.

She saw Mike standing on the other side of the boards with a smile of his own. Well, he loved it, so that's

And then she grasped what Pavel wanted her to see. Not just Mike. No. A flower girl on the interception course, a little sparkling shuttle between her and Mike.

Usually, the girls circled unobtrusively to pick up the stuffies and the flowers thrown on the ice, but this one broke the rules. She was going straight for her. The girl held the familiar blue rose, but not by the stem... one small hand cupped under the silk flower instead. The girl's face was pinched  in concentration.

What's going on?

In two more seconds the girl extended the rose to her, the stressed expression melting into a grin. 

Oh. That's why...

Mike had plucked out the petals from the middle of the flower, and fixed a ring inside it. Daya could not blame the girl—that ring would titillate a barracuda. The girl giggled at her face and took off, throwing side glances and giggling... the full flower squad was doing the same, both those on the ice and the bench players. 

Pavel's unwavering hand guided her to the gate, while she shook her head at Mike. She had found one guy who wanted to break Skate Canada...

Then another realization dawned on her. "You were in on it," she accused Pavel. Two guys, I've found two guys... 

Pavel stepped over the threshold and steadied her elbow for her to snap the blade guards on.

"The cowboy showed up yesterday. He asked if he could propose while we were waiting for the results. I said, no, my friend, that won't fly with the security and anyhow, Daya and I will be in the pen for the medal potentials. Here's her room number, thank me later."

"Medal potentials? There's seven pairs this year, each with years of experience on us. You're dreaming in—" the penny dropped. Daya's eyes popped out of their sockets. "You gave him my what?!"

"Irina Andrevna had the exact same reaction. She said that's not how we did things in Soviet Russia."

"Sorokin," Belousova said in a warning tone. "This is Kiss and Cry. You could be on the National Television."

Pavel grinned a duh, ma'am grin. "She called both of us... hmm, I would loosely translate it as dumbasses. Right, Irina Andrevna?"

The coach harrumphed.

"Then she whistled to the cutie-pie squad. I think they drew straws or something. Now, can we pay attention to what's important?" He pointed at the scoreboard. "Unless with this rock on your finger it isn't?"

His voice ended on a whining note. 

Daya plucked out a stitch that held the ring to the middle of the flower and slipped it on her finger. Unhurriedly.

Pavel leaned away to show that he wasn't part of the package. 

The rock was astonishing: almost the same electric blue as her dress. They perfected every facet of the cut over the centuries to maximize the amount of light the gem reflected. It was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen.