Adjusting

It's been a week since we got here now, I'm still sporting a bruised face and body but overall my injuries have healed well and I can do most things myself.

I've really gotten close with Ash, Christen, Carli, Tobin and Alex since we seem to be the oldest and the ones responsible for finding a way out of here. The others are just trying to get through their time here without losing it or breaking down.

A lot has changed in this last week, it's becoming more obvious that they want us here for multiple reasons. One, to get whatever 'key' they keep blabbering on about and two, to train us for something. An experiment, a tournament, something that they need us for and our skillset.

When I beat those guards up on the first day Lilith said something about 'knowing there was a reason they gave me number 1' and it got me thinking, what if we were being watched beforehand, before we got kidnapped. They could have been stalking us for months on end and your number is something like your ranking in this place.

I've trained in martial arts most my life and learnt archery over the last 5 years or so, meaning I have a pretty wide skillset compared to most teenagers and I can't help but wonder if that's the reason I'm number one.

Ash is big, she has muscles in places you didn't know muscles existed and the tattoos just add to her scary kind if look.

"Hey Ash, you train right?" I ask putting my theory to the test.

"Yeah, started like heavy bodybuilding when I turned 17, do it for almost 3 years now," Ash tells me

"do you do any other athletic things, hobbies or stuff that could give you an edge in a stressful situation," I ask.

"I mean I used to box when I was growing up, picked that up fairly quickly because I had to defend myself against my dad but when I moved out I stopped and started bodybuilding full time" Ash explains

"Thanks, Ash that helps a lot," I say deciding to ask Carli the question next.

"Yo Carlos, what physical activity do you do," I ask the older girl who glares at me for the name.

"I mean my dad owns a shooting range so he taught me how to shoot from a young age, don't know if that counts as physical activity but I did track too" Carli explains.

This all makes more sense now. I'm number 1 and I can do mixed martial arts as well as archery, I also have a photographic memory but I don't know if they know that. Ash is number two and used to box and now bodybuilds. Carli who's number 3 can shoot well and is fast. We have the lowest numbers because of our unique skill set.

The day is pretty regular, the alarm in the building goes off in the morning at 7:00 am, we have to be up and changed for breakfast by half-past. We then get some 'downtime' until 12:00 which basically means we are locked in our room. Lunch is then about 30 minutes long but you're not allowed to speak during that time.

When I first came back into the eating area, everyone started clapping for me which was nice, showed that they appreciated my efforts at least.

After lunch you've got an activity slot, this means you have to do some sort of exercise. They have a gym, shooting range, boxing ring, archery arena, freerunning course. Anything you could want, they have.

The thing is your constantly monitored here, there's someone recording down data on what you're doing so I never do the things I'm good at. I'm not giving them an edge over me.

After that, the kids who are still in education go off for lessons, in our room that includes Mal, Tierna, Emily, Lindsey, Morgan and Rose. While the rest of us have to do manual work, like fixing appliances or cleaning rooms and stuff.