Chapter 10: Don't regret it

The Las Vegas Strip stretched outside the window of the chapel of the Golden Dune hotel and casino. It shone with its light; eternal, somehow, due to the multitude of people coming and going, cars that did not stop, and continuous music whose origin was impossible to locate. The rest of the country slept, and in other parts of the world, it was dawning, but their time was only an abstract concept. Jackie's never seen so many people together, not even at the town's peak hour where she grew up.

"It's crazy out there!" exclaimed Jackie. Her face was almost glued to the glass. "Don't these people ever sleep?"

The woman behind her laughed.

"In the City that doesn't sleep? Hardly" the woman pulled the bow of the dress, squeezing Jackie's stomach like a ham.

Her voice came distorted, almost far away, but Jackie attributed it to the fatigue she felt. What was the woman's name? She had told her, but Jackie couldn't remember it. It was a pop star name... Let's say, Mariah. She was the assistant of the bride and contracted witness. That is, she would be a witness on Jackie's part. She was a young girl with an utterly disheveled hairstyle. She wore bluish makeup, perhaps to hide her dark circles, although, from her mood, she seemed as awake as if it were twelve on a Wednesday.

"The view is beautiful, but nothing compares to Caesar's palace." Mariah pulled the dress, and Jackie exhaled. "Now I just had to put the air in again, if I could. The food is better, and the rooms are de-luxe, and every night Celine Dion plays. Imagine!" her voice turned off. "The only one who plays here is Ed Sheeran."

Jackie barely turned her head.

"I like Ed Sheeran," she said with difficulty, "and so do many other people."

"Mm, if you say so," Mariah departed a little from her work. "Ready, there I stay. What do you think?"

Jackie took a look in the standing mirror. The blue dress she rented was tighter (especially on the chest) than the one made to her measurements in the Underworld and was not so luxurious or comfortable by any means. However, Jackie found it perfect since she had chosen it and paid for it out of her own pocket. The white ribbons that Mariah had tied in her hair and waist gave her an almost elegant touch.

A sigh was heard, which did not come from Jackie but Mariah.

"You are divine," Mariah said with your dreamer. "You're happy, aren't you?"

Jackie laughed a little "sorry."

"Heh, thank you. And yes, I think so," Jackie said and then added quietly. "Although this is not going to be an ordinary wedding..."

Mariah released a long mmm.

"Money or alcohol?" Mariah said. Jackie looked at her, confused. "Because those are the two reasons why people come here to get married. Except, of course, those who run away from home."

Jackie didn't know why but seeing the woman's blue eyes, she thought she could be trustworthy and tell her what was happening to her. But when she opened her mouth, she stopped. It wasn't worth it. They didn't have time, and Jackie didn't have the mental and physical energy to review everything again. So she just said:

"Money."

Mariah's mouth made a strange curve that turned into a smile.

"Well... you're not going to be the first or the last couple who don't marry for love, I guarantee it," Jackie gave a tender smile. "Divorce was invented for something, wasn't it?"

Sudden guilt arose in Jackie's chest. Until now, I had been so busy thinking about the wedding that I had not considered what I would do next.

"And worst-case scenario, if you misbehave, out here there is a Desert that does not ask questions."