Knight in shining armour?

Alexander was flabbergasted. A charge of awarness had engulfed him when she had touched his hand, causing him to become rooted to his current spot. Before he regained his wits, the mesmerising creature that had just affected him vanished. He summoned all his will and gained control of himself as quickly as possible, before automatically going in search of the vixen that had flummoxed him.

He darted in the direction she had passed by and continued straight on until he entered the card room. Once again he was frozen in his tracks by the doorway as he watched her bend her head to whisper into an elderly gentleman's ear.

"Father" Isabella said beseechingly "I think you must count your losses and leave, the hour is growing late and we must retire home soon". This, Isabella knew was the real reason her father had wanted them to move to London, it provided for him an outlet to express his penchant for gambling where the solitary life of Hertfordshire did not.

A balding man across the table then stated "I think your daughter may be right Lord Bradford, your bank balance has seen a large enough dent for one night". "No, No..." Lord Bradford rebutted giving his daughter a look of annoyance "I feel my luck is about to change in the next hand of cards... deal the cards Jeffery".

The card hand quickly shuffled the cards before placing them on the table and Isabella stood back sighing in defeat. "What am I to do now" she thought moving towards the doorway. Just then she saw him and froze. Alexander met her eyes and one side of his mouth quirked into a lopsided smile, making her heart jump in response.

A shout rose behind her and she turned to see the bald headed gentleman was rejoicing."Well Lord Bradford you should have quit when I told you to, that's 200 guineas... pay up like a good man, its house rules, no IOU's here"

Isabella's heart sunk, she knew her father did not have that kind of money, her emotions betrayed her and she stared wide eyed at the bald headed lord before stating ;" My father will pay you my lord, just not at the present moment".

He sniggered at her response and looked to Lord Bradford with anger building in his countenance. Just then the mysterious man in the doorway moved forward stating "I will pay this man's debt"

"Your Grace!" the bald man gasped looking on in awe. "Well then this should suffice" stated Alexander Kingsley the Duke of Rothbury as he withdrew a handful of banknotes from his pocket and placed them on the card table.

"Your Grace... I..." exclaimed Lord Bradford becoming speechless at the turn of events. "Not to worry Lord Bradford, I like to help those in need" he stated before continuing "And I'm sure we can come to an arrangement as to how you will repay me". Alexander then turned his head and winked at Isabella making her blush profusely.