Chapter 12 - Thanksgiving

It was Wednesday morning. Thanksgiving was tomorrow and Emaline woke up the next morning to the landscape completely covered in snow. In front of her was a snowy owl with something in its talons but the owl seemed very familiar. "Hi, Hedwig," she said. "What do we have here?" She patted her on the head and took whatever she was carrying and flew away. It was a roll of paper, reading:

For Ms. Emaline Goode and Ms. Tulip Karasu,
Here is your homework. Bring it with you when you come back. Enjoy your holiday! Professor McGonagall

She opened it and inside was homework from everyone at Hogwarts. "Hey Tulip!, our homework is here." She also had a letter. From Hermione. While Allison made some breakfast, Emaline went right to work on their homework, starting with a Potions assignment from Professor Snape, a Charms paper from Professor Flitwick, followed by an Astronomy quiz from Professor Sinistra, and a Transfiguration paper from Professor McGonagall. Before leaving for Portland, the girls drove around the park, listening to a No-Maj band called R.E.M., and seeing the many geysers and hot springs the park had to offer.

"So where do these geysers and hot springs come from?" Tulip asked.

"We're standing in the middle of the Yellowstone Caldera, the biggest supervolcano in the world. The last time this volcano blew was about 630,000 years ago. It happened before and it will happen again," said Allie.

"It's just a matter of when," said Emaline.
"Yep."
"What about those hot springs? Can you go swimming in those?"

"Uh...I don't think you can, Tulip," said Allie. "They're really hot. I've heard of people falling in there and have died or you could get hurt bad."

"Merlin's Beard!" she said surprisingly.

"I wouldn't recommend it," said another woman who was with her husband and their children. "2 weeks ago, someone slipped and fell into the Grand Prismatic Spring and was badly scalded. Died of her injuries"

"Mercy Lewis!" Emaline exclaimed. She then walked to a nearby bench, put on her glasses, and read Hermione's letter:

Dear Emaline,

I hope this letter gets to you fine. I might have found a book on Nicolas Flamel in the library. The only problem is it's in the Restricted Section. It's going to be very difficult. We're keeping an eye on Snape, as well. See if you could find anything on Flamel over there in America. Write me back when you do. Congratulations on the win over Hufflepuff, by the way. You also made The Daily Prophet! Cut a clipping out for you. Everyone can't stop talking about the game. A lot of Gryffindors were rooting for you. Hope you enjoy your holiday and see you soon.

Sincerely,

Hermione

"Hey, Em," said Allison. "We gotta go. We're going home."
"Okay."

They got back on the bus. "Emaline, it's your shift," said Allison. "Tulip, you sit in the front and navigate." Tulip seemed confused. "Navigate?" she said.
"Yes. You get to look at the map and tell Emaline where to go. Until it's my turn."
"Okay." Emaline turned the ignition, stepped on the gas, and the car began to move. "All right, Em. Get us in the air." There was no one on the road, fortunately.
"Okay." She pulled the flying gear up and the bus began to lift off the ground. "How's the Invisibility Booster holding up?" said Allie.

"It's at full power."
"Punch it!" She did and the bus instantly disappeared, along with the girls. The little bus entered Idaho, flying over snow-capped peaks, grassy plains, rolling hills, and beautiful rivers. They saw herds of pronghorn antelope, bison, elk, and flocks of Thunderbirds creating thunder and lightning storms as they flew. Tulip moved to the back and began working on her homework and playing with her pet toad, Dennis, while Allie moved to the front and talked with her sister. The landscape changed once again when the bus finally reached Oregon, changing from mountains, plains, and rivers to the high desert and more mountains.