Chapter 16 - A Sky Full of Stars

5 years ago...
Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
September 4th, 1986

"Emaline Goode?" said Professor Fontaine. At this time in the past, he was the Deputy Headmaster at Ilvermorny.
When she heard her name, a little girl with red hair and red glasses stepped forward in front of the Professor. She looked around the Sorting Hall, trying not to look nervous as she approached the Golden Circle on the floor. Everyone was looking at her. "Now there's no need to be afraid, Ms. Goode," said Agilbert. "It can't hurt you". Emaline held her breath for the moments after, waiting in anticipation for the enormous wooden carvings to react. One thing was certain: no matter which House she gets chosen by, she goes straight into Thunderbird. Her mother would have been happy if she chose Horned Serpent because she greatly valued knowledge. She closed her eyes and envisioned herself floating around in the cosmos, past whirling galaxies, nebulae, and stars.

And then, all of a sudden, many things happened at once. Emaline opened her eyes and the enormous Thunderbird carving reacted first, beating its strong wings; the Horned Serpent came next and the crystal in the middle of its head lit up on the far left, and then the Pukwudgie thrusts its arrow into the air. And then, without warning, the Wampus came last, letting out a loud, piercing roar. From the balcony, a collective gasp arose from the crowd. Many of the first-years didn't understand the significance of what was going on, but Emaline's friend, named Lillie, knew exactly what was happening. So did her older sister, Allison.

"I can't believe it," Lillie whispered. "This never happens."

"This very rarely happens." Allison corrected. "Emaline is a Divergent!"
"All four carvings have reacted!" 
Emaline looked back at her sister on the balcony, obviously confused. Headmaster Breckenridge stepped forward to whisper something into her ear, perhaps advice. He then stepped back and returned to his seat. Emaline closed her eyes, thought for a minute, then opened them, revealing the confident look her sapphire blue eyes held, and then she finally announced her decision.
"I choose Thunderbird."
The entire crowd on the balcony, not just the Thunderbirds arose to give her a standing ovation. Headmaster Breckenridge even smiled at her as she joined her new classmates and her older sister. The older classmates welcomed her with a purple and silver scarf and handshakes all around. She then found herself confronted by Allison and Lillie. They both hugged her tightly.
"I'm proud of you, Emmy," said Allison. "Wait 'til Mom hears about this." The three girls took a seat and watched the rest of the first-years get sorted into their houses.

Warlock's Hall. The next day...

The next morning, the first-years paid a visit to Warlock's Hall, the room at Ilvermorny Castle where they get their wands, escorted by Professor Fontaine. 
"Everyone," said Agilbert. "This is Professor Aphra, your History Of Magic professor, Professor Ortwin Aurelio, our Astronomy Professor, and Professor Ian Hickok, our resident Wandkeeper. They will be assisting you today."
"This is the most important part of your Wizarding journey, kids." he continued. "Your wand will be your constant companion while you're here at Ilvermorny, and your most prized possession. It will determine whether you will become an expert dueler or a wizard who can perform wandless magic, or gifted at charms. You will gain its allegiance, and it will serve you well as you go on from this school as a true witch or wizard. Professor Hickok, if you would please."
"Thanks, Agilbert," said Pickok. "Now, choosing a wand comes with many responsibilities: Never harm another student with your wand, or perform any destructive acts with it. Doing so will result in severe punishment, and perhaps even expulsion from Ilvermorny. You must treat your wand with care and respect." The professor looked pleased with the speech he had just given and nodded to the group. "Now, each of you will be allowed to seek out your own wand. You will know if a wand will choose you; it will sing to you, while you hold it in your hands, a song that only you will be able to hear. If it rejects you, put it down quickly, or else you may anger it."