.

The air was crisp as Magnus slowly maneuvers himself out of bed. The atmosphere almost suffocates him from the heavy silence that fills the whole community. In his head, he knows it's most likely just his anxiety scaring him, but he can't help but stall at even the sound of the sheets on his bed rustling. Even as he tries to hold his breath, he's terrified that it's enough to wake up anyone in any of the bunk beds around him.

Even though it is dark, he can just make out the silhouettes of the beds in the large room around him thanks to the full moon's light filtering in from the small window on the side of the room. He slowly navigates around the room until he comes upon the door to the High Sons' room. Just as he was about to open the door, he catches himself in the reflection of a mirror.

He looks exactly like the proper High Son. His hair is cut exactly as everyone else and his nightclothes cover him from head to toe, even though the midsummer night is sweltering and he can feel the sweat all over his body. His cleanly shaved face is also clear from the appearance of scars or imperfections. This is the least of what is expected from a High Son, and even he himself can admit of his beauty. He is accustomed to the smell of sage that fills every room and the sight of crosses displayed on every wall. No matter has normal everything is to him, he can't help but feel like something is wrong. The back of his mind is always thinking that he is missing something important, like he lost the last piece of a five hundred piece puzzle.

Maybe that is why he turns away from the mirror and opens the large oak door. No matter how many times he has done this in the past, he still gets the same rush of adrenaline. As he passes through the door, he sheds his perfect High Son persona. As a High Son, he doesn't sneak out, because staying in bed from 8 pm to 6 am is how the Lord prefers it. He also doesn't talk to the Lower Sons, because they are not ready for words yet. As a High Son, he must go by Saint Magnus, because he must be respected for being devoted in every aspect to the Church and House. Letting go of the High Son, he becomes simple Magnus. Magnus, who sneaks away at night to meet with a Lower Son. Magnus, who isn't perfectly sure about the life he has lived his entire life. Magnus, the lowly human sinner in a House of God.

With that in mind, he walks down the hallway, constantly looking over his shoulder. He finally comes across the back entrance and carefully twists the doorknob to sneak outside. Looking over his shoulder a final time, Magnus slips through the open door and quickly runs towards the woods that are right next to the House.

Once Magnus clears the yard and is covered by the branches and leaves, he slows down to a casual walk. Though there isn't a path through the thick bushes of thorns and trees, he has ventured to the same place almost every night for around six months now. He could most likely navigate the woods with his eyes closed if the time and place demand it. Through a wall of vines up ahead, Magnus could slightly discern a soft head of black hair. He knows who that hair belongs to, no one else he knows is even allowed to have hair as long as his, seeing as everyone he knows is a High Son, not a Lower.

Magnus's lips curve upward as he quickly makes his way toward the other boy. When he was finally a breath away from him, he gives out a loud yell. "Abraham!"

Abraham jolts in his seat upon a stump and spins around. His eyebrows are furrowed inward, but his eyes are wide. His pupils are contracted, not that it is easy to tell seeing as his eyes were black anyway. Magnus gives him enough trouble about that ironic part of his life. A man of God having the eyes of a demon.

"Shhh, Magnus! Who knows if anyone could have heard you! If we get caught, there's no telling what will happen to us!" Abraham whisper yells as his eyes dart around the small clearing.

"Oh, come on. We all know Father Bernhard is a strict follower bedtimes. He won't be up and out of bed until the morning," Magnus rolls his eyes, "Anyway, we already put ourselves in enough danger by simply talking, why not add to the excitement?"