Part One

*Note: While the story is written in English, the characters in this story are speaking/thinking in German, unless stated otherwise*

     Amongst the clattering of the train and the chattering of the many young men aboard it, Johann sat by his lonesome pondering to himself whilst staring off into the rapidly disappearing landscapes outside. The world outside looked tranquil and yet he knew that it was all a façade. Even in a time such as this the world still just appears so peaceful, he thought to himself. He had always had an appreciation for nature, the way all one's problems seem to disappear when surrounded by nothing but the beauty that Mother Earth had to offer. He thought about the forest back his home and how he loved to simply walk and get lost amongst the trees and the wind. Will I ever get to visit it again?

     Just a few short weeks ago he'd been at home smoking a cigarette just as he had always done, there was no sign that anything was amiss or that there was anything wrong in the world. Then the news arrived: "Assassination: Archduke Franz Ferdinand murdered in Sarajevo." From that moment onward, everyone knew it was clear that war was coming. In just a matter of weeks the German forces had been mobilized. As service was mandatory, most of the young men in Johann's town, himself included, had already gone through basic training; he was a skilled and diligent soldier and could handle himself capably. His company had boarded the train only a mere few days ago and were being shipped off to Belgium or France, he was not entirely sure.

     Johann had been taught from an early age that war was always a noble act; his father had assured him that the greatest action a man could perform was to pick up arms and fight for the glory of the Kaiser and the Reich. He had spent his whole life preparing for this, even as a child he had had a sense of duty drilled into his mind. In school he had read about the ancients, the great conquests of Alexander and the might of the Roman legions on the field of battle. He read extensively on the military exploits of the Prussian kings, especially Friedrich the Great. These tales inspired him in a way, they showed him the glory of a triumphant battle and even the honour of dying for one's country. He had been told not to fear death, that it was an inevitability that came for all, and a death in battle was the most dignified of all. Nevertheless, deep down the idea frightened him. He was more than willing to do his part in the war effort, yet he could not shake the dread that tugged at the back of his mind. The other men in his company seemed eager to start the fighting, and while in a way he was excited to prove his bravery and his loyalty, he could not say that he was wholly thrilled by the prospect. Was his old man right? Was war the only solution to the world's problems, could there not be a peaceful resolution? He did not doubt that he was the only one who had these trepidations, but not a soul was willing to admit it.

      His thoughts were disrupted by an uproar of laughter from across the carriage. He turned his head and to no surprise saw that it had been Franz who had caused the clamour. His friend sat on the table knocking back a pint of lager, though he seemed to be spilling more than he was drinking. Johann was unsure exactly just how much Franz had had to drink, though it was often hard to keep track. Franz had been Johann's best friend for as long as either of them could remember. He could not remember a time when Franz had not been by his side. Johann admired the skill Franz had with words, there was never a time when he was without his wit and could make anyone laugh with ease, he wished that he could do the same. Franz was able to attract people to him in a way that Johann never could, and it was that charm and easiness that Johann found so endearing. Franz was the funniest man he had ever known and was honoured to call him his friend. In that moment, Franz seemed to notice him and waved, "Johann, what're you d-d-doing by yerself? Come here, I-I was just tellin' the guys about the time I gotso dru-drunk I pisssssed myself."