Part Two

In the early days of August, the German forces moved into Belgium. The plan was to swiftly move through the small country and from there sweep into northern France and advance onto Paris. While initially it looked like an easy victory, the Belgian forces surprised all and for nearly a fortnight they were able to keep the German army at bay. While the Imperial forces were able to take Liège at last, rumours began to spread around the camps that perhaps the German war machine was not as indomitable as had been previously thought. Word must have reached the captain for on the morning after the city was taken, the captain rallied his troops.

     Standing before them with a rifle in hand, the captain began his speech. "Men, I have no doubt that many of you have begun to question the might of our great empire, maybe you think that we have underestimated our foes. Perhaps you even think that we have lost. But I say nay. Do not let this minor setback, for that is the only word for it, take stabs at your resolve. We are Germans, we are the protectors of the Reich, and we have God on our side. Gott mitt uns! Time and time again the German race has faced adversity, and yet here we stand today, united and stronger than ever! Do not lay down your arms and turn with your tail between your legs, nay, now more than ever you must build courage and fight! Not just for the Kaiser, not just for the Reich, but for yourselves! We shall be victorious, I promise you that. Each and every one of you as a role to play in this fight, and I implore you to continue to perform your duty to the utmost of your ability. With God guiding us there is no chance for a German defeat." He raised his rifle high into the sky and began to chant as loudly as he could, "DEUTSCHLAND! DEUTSCHLAND! DEUTSCHLAND!"

     Captain Rudolf von Jäger had gained much fame and renown for his bravery in putting down the Chinese Boxer Rebellion many years ago. Even in his small town, Johann had grown up hearing stories of the war, and recalled that the captain, then just a teenaged officer-in-training, had singlehandedly fended off a platoon of rebels until his own men could catch up. He was a battle-hardened soldier with a resolve of steel and chose to fight side-by-side with his men, believing it was the only true way to get the best results. While small in stature, when he spoke it was clear that von Jäger was a titan of a man, a man to be feared and respected, and Johann felt honoured to serve under his command.

      After the captain's speech, the group of young men disbanded and Johann started to walk off until he heard the captain's voice shouting, "Halt, you there, Private Dassler. Front and center, soldier." With a mixture of shock and confusion, he walked and stood before his commander. He had never thought that the captain would want to speak to him personally and was unsure what he could possibly want. Nonetheless, he obliged, arm raised in salute. The captain returned the salute and then resumed, "I hear that you are the son of Sergeant Konrad Dassler, is that true?"

      Of course he wants to know about my father, they all want to ask about my father. Johann did not like to talk about the old man. "Yes, sir, Sgt. Dassler is my father. May I ask how you know him, sir?" He did not really care to know for he was fairly certain he knew the answer already. Everyone in the country knew his father as a war hero in the Franco-Prussian War, a poor farmer who had risen to lead his own forces. He had won the Iron Cross for his valour and it was said that upon his return home, the town held a parade in his honour. As a youth Johann could not go anywhere with the man without someone stopping them and his father being showered with praise. It was sickening.

      Von Jäger stuck out his hand which again surprised Johann. "Then it is a pleasure to meet you, son. While I have never had the pleasure of meeting the sergeant myself, even I grew up hearing about your father's valour. As a boy, mein own father would read me stories from the paper about the triumphs of Konrad Dassler. To be true, your father is the reason why I wanted to fight, to become a soldier. His service to this country is invaluable, we are stronger as a nation with him on our side. Please thank him for me personally." He paused for a moment then continued. "May I ask, is he well? Age gets even the greatest of us, I know as well as anyone."