Prologue

-Jade's POV-

Present time

As he beat me he used his quirk to burn me as well. I barely withstood the onslaught of fire that my stepdad threw at me. I knew he wouldn't kill me, would he? I shook the thought out of my head. My stepdad is better known as the pro-hero "Pyromania". I coughed as he punched me in the gut and started to knee me in the chest. I could hardly breathe. I didn't want to give up yet, but what could I do? I'm only four! I felt tears brim my eyes as I struggled to breathe. I was useless and Pyro was right.

Weak

Pathetic

Villain

"With such a villainous quirk, you are never going to be a hero! A quirk that controls shadows, how pathetic and evil is that!" Pyro yells, punching me again.

I cried as the words he had been screaming at me filled my head. I cried knowing that this was the last time I would be able to. The pain stopped, the screams stopped and I couldn't even watch as the burning building collapsed on me.

Five days later...

I ran into the woods that were near the hospital. It had been days but they wouldn't let me leave. I ran until I reached a clearing with a lake. I saw two kids there. One my age with blonde hair and a pink hoodie, with holes cut out for her cat ears, she had a cat-tail and deep blue eyes. 

The second one was a boy who was roughly three years older than me, he had brownish red hair, electric blue eyes and burn scars all over his body. He was playing with a blue flame that danced in his palm whilst the girls tail was swaying from side to side. She watched the flames as they flickered and danced on his palms. The boy spotted me and smiled.

"Hey, what's your name?" He called to me. My ears drooped.

"J-Jade M-Midori-iya" I stutter. I watch as the girl runs up to me. 

"Hey don't be sad! My dad says that as long as you smile everything will be ok!" The girl says hugging me. Her smile never faltered.

"I'm Touya Todoroki and that's Kit," Touya says.

"Just Kit?" I ask her.

"Mhmm! I prefer it to my actual name Lilith-" She gets cut off by Touya accidentally setting a stick on fire and throwing it past her. "Hey!" She hisses. Her smile doesn't falter though.

"What are you guys doing here?" I ask. Touya sighs.

"My dads the Number 2 pro hero Endeavor, I can't stand his beatings anymore or his "training" as he calls it, but no one other than Kit believes me!" He says, flames growing larger in his palms.

"I live at the orphanage but me and Touya~Chan come here to meet up!" Kit says, beaming.

"What about you?" Touya asks.

"I just ran out of the hospital, my dad is the pro hero Pyromania..." I look down.

"Did he get hurt or something?" Kit asks.

"No, he... he abuses me because he's my stepdad and a few days ago he did it so bad that... I nearly died" I whisper. Touya's face fills with rage and Kit hugs me again.

"Come with us, I'm planning on running from the orphanage anyways! We can all be a family, together!" Kit beams. I smile. I've never met anyone other than my brother and my mum who are actually nice, but even they don't believe me about Dad. I don't have any clothes other than the black leggings, white shirt and grey shoes I'm wearing now. I don't have any personal items other than one photo of me, my real dad, mum and Izuku and that's inside my shoe. 

"I'm in if Touya's in!" I say beaming. Touya nods.

"Wait, if we don't wanna get recognised then we need codenames! For you two, of course, I already have mine!" Kit exclaims and I think for a minute.

"Dabi!" Touya says. I smile.

" How about... Shayde or just Shay!" I say they nod.

"What's your quirk, Shay?" Touya asks.

"Oh complete control over shadows, I also have a familiar. I have another quirk that gives me complete control over sound I think, that what the doctors said at least and I also have a mutation quirk, as you can see. They didn't tell me the other one though" I say. Touya and Kit look amazed that I have so many quirks.

"Well c'mon Kit, Shayde, we should go hide before people start looking for us!" Touya says. We nod and follow him.