Prologue

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, welcome to our sophomore play!"

The lights shine bright on the little man who now stands before his audience. He has a glint in his eye and he wears a black suit with a few rips in it. He was wearing a hat but you could only tell it was there because the lights hit the brim of the little black hat. His little mustache wiggled when he spoke next. "I am Alexander Native, the director of this play and former..." The glint in his eye becomes brighter. "Magician!!" A few ribbons slide out of Mr. Native's sleeves. Nobody claps. One young girl with black hair and brown eyes like Mr. Native rubs her temples and sighs. "Ahem," Mr. Native clears his throat. Well that didn't go well, thought Mr. Native. I better think of something! He smiles at the crowd and begins to speak in his deep and scratchy voice. "Anyway, um, as I assume you all know, the play we will be performing for you today is "The Window Above" by Jennifer Tentail who was recently put in a mental hospital." Some of the expression in the audience turn sad or thoughtful. "Yes we all miss her and I do too, but being the manly teacher I am I was able to handle those emotions."

"You? Manly? You carry a sparkly black and pink purse!" Yells out a younger man in the audience. Laughter erupts in the crowd. The little man turns pink. The glimmer in his eye goes dark.

"It-It's not a purse!" More laughter. How could they laugh? I am their teacher! Mr. Native calms himself and looks to the crowd. Oh no. Macy... The black hair and brown eyed girl is no longer sitting in her seat. She must have left. "Settle down everyone," Alexander says with a hint of frustration in his voice. The crowd quiets down a little. "Yes. I do have a purse and I have it because it belonged to someone I cared about who is no longer with us and I would appreciate if you wouldn't make fun of me for it." Macy peeks through the doors. "As I was saying the play is "The Window Above." Enjoy." Mr. Native quietly leaves the stage. The principle goes up stage and begins to lecture the students about manners in her robotic voice. Alexander walks deeper backstage.

"Hi Dad." Alexander looks up to see who the melodic voice belongs to.

"Macy!" His beautiful daughter hugs him. He hugs her back. "Wow! You're getting tall!" Macy was up to her Dad's chin.

"Yeah," She sighs. "Look, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have left. I was just..."

"Embarrassed?" He finishes.

"NO!" She giggles. "Now come on let's go watch this play of yours." She takes his hand and they travel down to their seats.

"-Now you students better behave better!" The principle finishes and turns to leave. Then a loud squish is heard. Someone threw their pop at the principle. "JASON. MY OFFICE. NOW." There a crash at the front of the audience and then a boy with golden brown hair and blue eyes is running down the aisle. "Jason you get back here!" The principle jumps off the stage and chases after him. Beside Him Mr. Native can hear Macy giggle. She is staring after the boy and was twirling her hair.

"Macy, honey, do you like that boy?" There was complete silence over the crowd and all eyes are on macy.

"Dad! No! I don't! Stop!"

"Okay. I just... That boy seems like bad news." The crowd begins talking again except more lively. Macy's face reddens like a strawberry. The lights flicker. "We have five minutes till the play starts." Macy ignores him. I hope I didn't upset her. He glances toward his pocket where the light reflects a tiny bit of a sparkle. "Here." Macy looks toward her father's hands.

"Mom's purse! You're... giving it to me?" He nods. The smile on her face was just like any other smile to someone else, but to Mr. Native it was the most wonderful thing in the world. The lights darkened and the play began.