1

Kaycee stabbed a fork into her peas, stuffing a couple into her mouth and separating the rest into categories based on sizes to occupy her wandering mind.

It sounds like a childish thing to do. Honestly, it probably is. But when a potential suitor is sitting across from you, speaking absolute boring nonsense to your parents and barely even looking in your direction, the only thing you can really do is revert back to your childish days. At least, that was what Kaycee believed. Leaving her bored with nothing to do was recipe for disaster, anyway.

The boy, called Sebastian (according to her mother), had just told a joke that made both her parents and her sisters laugh. She scowls, and then receives a harsh kick from under the table, so she wearily lets out a half-hearted, "Ha, ha, ha"

Her mother gives her a stern look masked under a bright smile, something only she would notice. "Kaycee, dear, you're very quiet. Why don't you tell Sebastian something about yourself?"

Here's a fun fact: I don't want to talk to you, she smarts off in her head. However, she knows better than to be disrespectful to her mother, so she simply grins. "My apologies. I was sorting my peas into groups based on their size. It's actually a wonderful pastime of mine, really."

Her entire family now looks to be glaring at her, only Sebastian staring at her in fake awe. "Oh, is that so? My sister loves to do that as well!"

"How old is your sister?" Questions my father, trying to keep conversation.

Sebastian grins. "She just turned 5 last week."

Great, he thinks of me as a child, Kaycee thinks. This is a good thing, in her opinion. She's learned to master the art of saying such outlandish things that the man her parents are trying to set her up with just gives up and never returns. She allows her parents to attempt to cover up her mistake, rearranging the peas to spell out "Kaycee."

She didn't even technically need a husband. Her family is pretty well off, anyway. If anything, this was the efforts of her mother to secure a spot of theirs in some sort of royal family. The only men she had invited over to dinner so far were princes and sons of the rich- Kaycee called them the 'privileged, uninteresting ones.'

It sounds mean, but if you had to endure the wrath of their completely bland personalities almost two days out of every single week, you'd say the same thing.

When she zones back in, Sebastian is talking. "-of course, I've been searching for a wife for quite a while now. Perhaps I'm being too picky, though. Your daughter is gorgeous, but I was also hoping for a female with personality-"

"Ah, the curse of having no personality. My, this dreadful nightmare has plagued me for many nights," Kaycee says, obviously feigning dramatics. Her mother puts a hand up to her own forehead in frustration, while Sebastian stares on in confusion. "I wouldn't call your personality anything to write home about, Sir Sebastian"

Sebastian scoffs. "I'm sorry? And what, was your playing with peas a hidden personality trait I was to be aware of before I got here?"

"I had spent close to an hour listening to your speeches, Sir," Kaycee says, "It wasn't until we reached your thirtieth minute of speaking about your wages that I even touched my peas, and it was simply to spell out 'Help me'-"

"Kaycee Rice!" her mother hisses, disbelief written clearly on her face. The look she was giving her almost made Kaycee feel bad- but then she remembered her mother relentlessly throwing men at her despite her continuous requests to remain alone, and the guilty feeling subsides. Giving Sebastian an apologetic look, her mother says, "I apologize, Sir. My daughter has just had a particularly long day today. Isn't that right, Kaycee?"