5

Kaycee quickly learned that asking Sean such a trivial question as "Where are we off to?" was just about as effective as asking the same question to a wall, seeing as they had been travelling on foot for the better half of an hour and she had yet to find out where they were heading.

They walked side by side, occasionally sparking up a conversation, but as the walking drudged on Kaycee realized that she could no longer act amicable. She now felt annoyed. Annoyed by the silence, and most of all annoyed that her heroic jump from the balcony did not even compel Sean to tell her anything. Huffing, she kicked a rock across the ground.

Sean noticed the change in her attitude, turning slightly to give her a look. "What? Are you bored already?"

"No," she replied defensively, "I would just like to know where we're heading off to. You know, I jumped off my balcony for you, and you cannot even grace me with an answer?"

He laughs, turning his gaze back to the trail ahead. A few moments ago, they had made a turn into a grassy, tree-filled area, but Kaycee was too preoccupied being frustrated to notice. "Luckily, we're almost there. You'll know when you see it."

"You said we were almost there hours ago," Kaycee groaned.

Sean chuckled again. "We haven't even been walking for hours. It has been half an hour, at most."

The girl glared at the star filled sky, seemingly blaming her mistaken timing on it. It did nothing back, so she glared at the ground instead. The two began walking through the trees, occasionally having to push a few branches out of the way, before finally reaching a clearing with a hill and a single, massive tree in the center of it. She regretted glaring at the sky- if it hadn't been for the stars, they would not have been able to see a thing.

Sean stops, as does Kaycee, more out of confusion than anything. "Is this it?"

"You have a knack for making things sound much worse off than they are, did you know that?" he replies with a grin. She smiles, shaking her head, and he grabs onto her wrist to pull her along. "It's not the clearing that's special, just wait."

She allowed him to drag her up the hill- obviously, not without a few complaints- and then, when they finally reached the tree, he stopped again. She looked over at him, only to see he was looking back at her expectantly. "What, are you waiting for me to question you again?"

"Actually, no," he says, "I was waiting for you to climb it."

Kaycee scoffs loudly. "Climb it? The tree? You want me to climb this tree, in this dress?"

"I believe that's what I said, isn't it?"

She looks from him, then to the tree, and then back again. "This must be why our families hate each other. For generations, your family has tried to force ours to climb a tree. I should have listened to my mother."

At this, he laughs out loud, throwing his head back. She watches the sight in amazement, her negative mood changing into a lighthearted, brighter one. Instead of waiting for his answer, she sighs, grabbing at her skirt and pulling it up slightly. "Fine, I'll do it. But do not look at my ankles, or up my dress, or anything else that would be unlike a gentleman."

"I was most definitely not planning on it," he states.

Sizing up the tree did more harm than good, so instead of thinking, she grasped at the lowest branch and tried to pull herself up. She recognized her disadvantage immediately- she had no upper body strength. Sean watched on with a knowing grin, arms crossed over his chest.