Prologue- 47 years ago

A tawny brown griffin wandered through a barren swamp with a grumpy scowl, gaze sweeping his surroundings. "Ack! These bugs are so annoying! This is why I hate Earth..." he spat as he swatted the mosquito crawling on his arm, his eyes narrowing in frustration.

     He had only been here twice, and the first time was when he had helped discover the planet. Well, helped as in he was on the ship when the crew who were guiding it noticed that there was an enormous planet right in their path. He wasn't quite sure how no one had found it before they set out on their mission to try and make peace with a hostile planet.

     It was humid in the murky swamp, and the only one there was, strangely enough, a magical creature. The mud-caked griffin's amber eyes swept around the area, annoyed and grumpy. "Finnigan, where are you?" he shouted angrily.

     He started tapping his foot like a bored child, but stopped when it sank into the damp ground. He scowled and wiped his mud-soaked talons on the grass. Finnigan and the others are supposed to be here by now, he thought furiously.

     He stopped pacing, which he hadn't even realized he was doing, and started internally panicking. What if they were attacked by the Maludyms? he considered, bewildered. He was about to search the area for any signs of attack when a loud voice rang out, interrupting the addled griffin's train of thought.

     "I'm right here, Elryk, so stop worrying about it! We still have about 11 hours left..." Elryk heard someone say. He recognized the voice of Finnigan and turned around, gaze stopping on a spotted gray hippogryph, who lazily floated down, flapping his wings gingerly and raising an eyebrow at Elryk.

     "Finnigan! Why were you so late? You know this is important and you could have been killed!" the griffin, Elryk, scolded. He seemed angry, but he was secretly relieved, and worried for his best friend. "Well, they're not even coming yet, they're released" Finnigan gestured with his claws. "At the first sight of the moon... and for two hundred years ahead..." Finnigan said, sarcastically. Elryk turned away from him, furious that he would make fun of the prophecy, though he couldn't stay angry at him for long.

     Though the planet was very annoying, he had to remember their mission. Only a year or two ago, one of their prophets had experienced a vision in which two heroes from this very planet would come to theirs and save it. Their original plan had been to scout it out, before one of their spies had discovered that soon the dark kingdom- the Maludyms- would be sending their own soldiers to try and stop the prophecy from coming true, and they'd had to rush the mission just to be able to arrive on the same day.

     "Where are the others?" Elryk growled, still with his back facing the laid-back hippogryph. Finnigan paused before answering. "Well, the captain said we would have to go separately just to make sure at least one of us got here..." Elryk glanced briefly back at him, and the hippogryph was looking grimly down at the mud with gloomy pale yellow eyes. "Oh..." Elryk murmured.

     Elryk sat down against a tree trunk and Finnigan stretched out in a cool patch of grass. "Hmmmph.." Finnigan yawned. "I haven't slept for so long, I'm exhausted. I've been so busy... Elryk, can you keep watch? I need to sleep..." Elryk nodded. "Sure. It's hard to fight if you're tired, and I haven't seen any signs of a threat."

     Finnigan gave him a grateful grin and closed his eyes, curling his wings around himself like a feathery blanket and drifting into the comforting abyss of sleep.

     He found himself unwinding a spool of silk, but the string never ended. He started running away from the spool, but it just kept getting longer and longer. When he was starting to give up, the spool caught fire and curled around itself, swelling and shaping into an enormous dragon.